IGNORED

2008 Venture making (what I think is) strange transmission noises.

Hi everyone,

I am worried that I might have a transmission gear problem that is creating noises that has me worried.

This DOES NOT seem to be the typical whine that everyone talks about or has.

This is a noise that happens regardless of speed (even lugging bike) in 2, 3, 4 , 5 gear ,, but not first gear (no matter the speed in first gear). Go same speed in second gear and the noise is there.

The best way I can describe the sound is a rubbing whirring noise with the odd sound that seems to be like a gear skipping.

However ,, if I am cruising down the road and I pull in the clutch, the noise goes away ,, let the clutch out ,, noise comes back.

Could this be the clutch basket even though this noise does not happen in first gear??

Has anyone had any transmission issues with the second generation royal star?

I am nervously awaiting the Dealer feedback as they have my bike to see if they can find the problem :(

Thank you in advance.

Stuart

Hey Stuart I can't answer your question, but I am interested to see what everyone will have to say about it.

Also, when your bike is running, in neutral, can you hear noises that go away if you pull in the clutch? I have just noticed that mine is doing that. Not grinding or vibrating, just that I can hear more parts moving when I let out the clutch.

I'll be watching to see what the eggsperts say!

UPDATE: Looks like it is my middle gear assembly / U-Joint that is causing the problem :(

I am told this is a very expensive fix as it is very labour intensive.

I live in Vancouver BC. Does anyone know of any good mechanics that know the Venture Royale well?

Hey Stuart I can't answer your question, but I am interested to see what everyone will have to say about it.

Also, when your bike is running, in neutral, can you hear noises that go away if you pull in the clutch? I have just noticed that mine is doing that. Not grinding or vibrating, just that I can hear more parts moving when I let out the clutch.

I'll be watching to see what the eggsperts say!

Hi, Yes, the noises go away when I pull in the clutch. Let the clutch out and noises come back.

I had as unusual drivetrain noise on my 2nd gen when I first bought it used. During tire replacement I asked the mechanic to split the rear shaft

and grease the splines. No more noise (except that usual tranny noise) .

UPDATE: Looks like it is my middle gear assembly / U-Joint that is causing the problem :(

I am told this is a very expensive fix as it is very labour intensive.

I live in Vancouver BC. Does anyone know of any good mechanics that know the Venture Royale well?

Stuart,

Search in the archives and the 1st or 2nd Generation read only tech area. I think someone has done an article on replacing the assembly. Could be nothing more than a broken shaft. That does happen. There are pictures in the article as well.....

My pinion rear shaft was broken and I replaced the assembly myself. Wasn't hard with the advice and pictures here. I'm not a real mechanic...but it worked!

Read here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?91454-Rear-End-Questions&highlight=ujoint+shaft

david

Stuart,

Search in the archives and the 1st or 2nd Generation read only tech area. I think someone has done an article on replacing the assembly. Could be nothing more than a broken shaft. That does happen. There are pictures in the article as well.....

My pinion rear shaft was broken and I replaced the assembly myself. Wasn't hard with the advice and pictures here. I'm not a real mechanic...but it worked!

Read here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?91454-Rear-End-Questions&highlight=ujoint+shaft

david

Thank you

So what exactly is this part they are telling you is bad? is it the drive shaft it self outside the bike? That is pretty easy to take apart and I would thnk any cometant shop could press a u joint in. I agree on checking the splines and drive pins. Maybe they are dry and causing the noise.

So what exactly is this part they are telling you is bad? is it the drive shaft it self outside the bike? That is pretty easy to take apart and I would thnk any cometant shop could press a u joint in. I agree on checking the splines and drive pins. Maybe they are dry and causing the noise.

Hi, I just got my bike back from the shop. It turns out it was my drive shaft / rear end. They put in a brand new one and ALL of my noises have gone away.

No whining, no third gear noises ,, nothing. It was expensive but I should not have this problem again as I hear it is very rare to have the rear end go.

Ring and pinions weather in a car/truck or whatever will develop a wear pattern. sometimes this causes whines. Yours could have been bearings going south, although I dont think I have ever heard of that happening on the RSV or Tour Deluxe.

Good reason to keep up the annual change of the diff oil and grease of splines when changing tires every couple years.

Ring and pinions weather in a car/truck or whatever will develop a wear pattern. sometimes this causes whines. Yours could have been bearings going south, although I dont think I have ever heard of that happening on the RSV or Tour Deluxe.

Good reason to keep up the annual change of the diff oil and grease of splines when changing tires every couple years.

Agreed, I replace the diff every year. In my case it was the bearings.