IGNORED

How to remove the latch cover??

Lepapehermann

Hello

I would like to know how to remove the latch cover inside the trunk of a RSV1999, there is 4 plastic knobs that seems to hold it in place but I don't know how to remove them and don't want to break anything.

Is there any special tool needed? Can I use something else? Any trick?

I have included a picture from inside the trunk so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for your help

Hermann

those are easy to get out. All they are is plastic rivets. Just get a small flat screwdriver and push it in behind it. Work is slowly out. The war the Rivet works is there is a small pin that pushes into the center that spreads out the fingers that holds it in. When you have it out just push the pin out. When you reinstall it just push the fingers in and then push the center pin in to spread the fingers and there you go. If you arent planing to do this anyway spray some lithium grease into the mechanism and it will really help to stop the sticking you get as Yamaha is very light in the lube Dept.

Hi Scott,

Not sure I understand, what do I push in with the small screwdriver, is it the center pin that I push inside the rivet? how far?

those are easy to get out. All they are is plastic rivets. Just get a small flat screwdriver and push it in behind it. Work is slowly out. The war the Rivet works is there is a small pin that pushes into the center that spreads out the fingers that holds it in. When you have it out just push the pin out. When you reinstall it just push the fingers in and then push the center pin in to spread the fingers and there you go. If you arent planing to do this anyway spray some lithium grease into the mechanism and it will really help to stop the sticking you get as Yamaha is very light in the lube Dept.

Thanks Scott,

I will try to slowly pry them out like you say, I am only concern by the fact that they are firmly in place and will force them out fully extended at the back. Could that cause a problem?

You actually could do that too. You will have to hund for the piece after and place it back into the rivet. I just pryed up the rivet and worked it out slowly.

I take a small, thin knife blade and pry the center "pin" out about a quarter of an inch. This releases the tension on the fastener, then the whole thing just pulls out. There are a lot of this same type fastener on your bike. You'll get used to them quickly if you do your own maintenance.

I would really like to do that but it is almost impossible as there is nothing sticking out in the middle of the rivet and each rivet is in a hole with very little space on the sides plus I will have to use a mirror to see what I am doing, see picture taken from inside the trunk.

I take a small, thin knife blade and pry the center "pin" out about a quarter of an inch. This releases the tension on the fastener, then the whole thing just pulls out. There are a lot of this same type fastener on your bike. You'll get used to them quickly if you do your own maintenance.

They are out!!!!

Thanks to all, here is the secret: The rivet has a center plunger that can be slightly pushed in to release the lock, once the lock is release you can easily pull the rivet assembly out.

To re-assemble you simply pull the center plunger out, re-insert the rivet and push the center plunger flush with the rivet's head... et voila.

See picture