IGNORED

Back Road Adventure

FROG MAN

Mamamo and I are taking a little sight seeing ride from our new property today. You might say were taking a weekend off. Sunny skies forecast for Saturday and were getting the ATV's out. From our new property we can ride for hours or days traveling dirt roads,trails,1 lane tar and chip pavement roads,crossing multiple counties. It's great to live in the mountain lakes region. Those Yamaha kodiaks will come to life for a little fun. I just enjoy a slow pace and enjoying nature. That root and bore mud slinging thing is for a younger generation.I didn't pay $12K for two four wheelers to tear them up horsing around. The spring flowers are blooming and ramps are coming up. It's hard to tell what we may get into. I got a few neighbors I might visit along the route and you never know we might spot a freshly planted ROSE BUSH!!!

Went for a small (10 mile) slow (6-7mph) ride this morning. Nice to be outside but a little cold around 53 Sunny. Left the Property rode up the river road up the hill to Gregory, Pleasant Hill, back to the Falls Mill. Then back to the house for Lunch.

Does anyone know what causes the Honeycomb formation in the Rock cliffs like in Pic 3?

Pics

1. Ready for the Ride

2. Going up along the Little Kanawha River

3. Some of the rock cliffs that has the HoneyComb formation in Bottom area.

4. Across the Valley from Gregory

5. House my Mom was born in.

6. Pleasant Hill Church Mom's home church growing up. My mom,daughter and I have all sang in it back when they were having Homecomings. Closed now. Frogman and I helped paint it the last time.

7. White house in distance was the old house and Gregory store that we pasted when topping the hill from the river road.

8. Small waterfall along river

No I didn't find the rose bush. But we did have a nice day. We stopped an visited with two people along the way. One we had give the ends of the walnut tree and the other a guy that had built a log home with rock as his trim. Gentleman has no electric or phone or plans right now to get them. Retired slowly working on house for the finish jobs. Done a nice job all corners have been cut off and has windows where all corners should be interesting idea.

Beautiful country ya got there, guys. As far as the "honeycomb", I think Honey's headed in the right direction, but I don't think that's shale. There is a lot of shale in WV (coal mines!) If memory serves, there's lots of limestone around there as well complete with natural caves. Given the streams and creeks, there is an abundance of subterrainean water, so all things considered, I vote for water on limestone...but I don't think recently at all. Looking at the close-ups there's a lot of fungus and moss, so there may well be occasional waterflow out of the fractures, enough to cause the erosion pattern you see there. Since I'm neither a geologist nor a hydrologist, anything I come up with is strictly peanut gallery speculation. (sure sounds good though doesn't it? :whistling:)

That's my nickel's worth!

Yesterdays ride was a enjoyable sight seeing and thinking day. I thought how many times have I rode these back roads on a dirt bike. Always 40-50 mph doing wheelies,slinging gravel, and never noticed anything. But that was 35 years ago. Atv riding is a great way to see the back country.

Yeah I remember those day of riding sedately around the country side. Brakes were never any good on that thing I was always having trouble slowing for (cars, trucks, rocks, cattle, dogs, cats, people, trees, barns, houses, outhouses, creeks, low clouds, turtles to name a few) Speedometer claimed zero so must have been the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a close up of the Honeycomb rock. We know of three rock formations like this in the area.

Now that I can see it, I have no frickin' idea what that is or how it formed... I was looking at the layers of rock - I could not see the holes in it!

Worked at the new property today. We cut, stacked wood, swept rooms in old house until 1pm went to house for lunch. Picked up Venturepirate our 9 year old son for a 4 wheelerride this afternoon. It was a beautiful day about 64 outside. Rode 20-25 miles today. Than returned to the new property to burn the small limbs from the walnut tree in the fire pit. So we got to try it out had us a wiener roast with the grandkids. First one this year and at the new place. It was a great day. After everyone left FrogMan and I sat around the firepit waiting for it to burn down and relaxing before coming home after 9pm.:cool10:

1. Old Hettie Store and PO (Closed)

2. Old Green Hill School

3. Green Hill Church

4. Going up Painter Fork Rd

5. Beautiful Views

6.Wild & Wonderful West Virginia

7.Family Weiner Roast

8.Step Granddaughter to be Mariah

9 Son-in-law to be David & Gabe

10.FirePit works great

11 Grandson Jaden watching the fire

12 FirePit on Candlelight setting

Some how I lost the first 3 Pictures here they are

1.Frogman and Venturepirate

2.MamaMo and Waterfall

3.Old Gregory Store & PO (Closed)

Both the Old stores we can remember going to when we were kids. Frogman went to the Old Falls Mill School that was built like the Green Hill School but tore down when the dam was built. I used to sing sometimes in the Green Hill Church with my mothers family growing up. Grandparents (mothers side) are buried behind it. Lots of memories in this area. Changes too each time I travel the roads again.