IGNORED

Cooler Rack for my trailer - Recommendations

petekadish

Hey Guys!

Spring is here and it's time to put the finishing touches on my new trailer set-up. The next step is to install a nice cooler rack. I found one which looks like a good at: http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/new_cooler_rack.html So far, this looks like the best deal. However, it's always a good idea to check lots of options and see what other people recommend.

I had one idea that I don't know exactly how practical it is, but I think that it's do-able. I would like to figure out a way to be able to set-up the cooler rack so that I can use it with my trailer, or remove it and use it solo as just a hitch attachment. If this can't be done, then I would just like to get one to install on the trailer arm. Then, maybe I'll get another one to use solo.

So, what do you suggest? What do you like? I don't want to spend crazy money on this, but I want to be satisfied. Are there any special considerations I should be aware of, or is it just a simple matter of attaching it and that's it?

Thanks for the help!

Pete.

I like how you think. What a great idea and

wished I would of thought of it first.

It is a easy job to do too!!

You can buy a cooler rack that fits into your trailer hitch already made.

GW. 89 bucks or build one for 50 bucks or less depending on your skill level.

http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/hitch-pages/honda1800cc.htm

Then attach it on top of the tongue of the trailer with the receiver end

facing back towards the rear of the bike.

Square u-bolts to clamp it down and WHA-LAHH you have a duel purpose

cooler holder.

Man you had a great idea.....................................Ron:cool10::cool10::cool10:

I'm probably in the minority here.... But I don't get this whole "cooler thing" .. Don't they have stores where you guys ride that you can buy cold drinks? When I'm road trippin I gotta stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for gas.. I usually buy a drink if I'm thirsty.

I have a cooler rack on my piggybacker trailer and I put a tote there with my tools in it.. Someone explain the need for a cooler to me please.

Guest tx2sturgis

I can see needing one, if your gonna ride into say, a nice little state park, spend several hours (or overnight) with your significant other, and maybe friends, and there are no stores where your going...might be nice to have some drinks and maybe some sandwich meat and fixins.

But yeah, I dont normally carry a cooler either, when in transit. Occasionally I will pack a small cooler in one of my saddlebags, and toss in a few drinks, usually water, to take with me on a ride where the route and stops will be uncertain, such as when on an impromtu ride with buddies.

I would mount two used floor boards,(one on each side of the trailer tonge) and set my cooler on the floor boards and strap it down..this takes care of the trailer problem.

I would purchase the cooler rack of my choice that will attach to the reciever on the bike, and not worry if it would fit the trailer tonge because the floor boards are on the trailer..

You would only need to swap the cooler from bike to the trailer and not ever worry about swapping the whole cooler rack & hitch an wonder how to attach it..:whistling:

The need for a cooler is that not everyone wants to pay 3 bucks every time they stop for a drink. I drink allot of water I put my plastic jugs in the freezer and carry them in the cooler as well as apples, oranges, fruit bars or what ever.

As you young bucks get older you will understand.

I did and said the same thing up until I hit about 50.

I bet I take allot more potty breaks now then you do also.

When I was younger in my early 20s I thought those old guys where just milking it at work with as many times as some went to the restroom.

Well age and wisdom has taught me different.

If your body has not started to hate you yet your in luck.

Mine on the other hand is getting tired of all the crap I have put it through.

I can't even have a beer without it going straight through me, might as well drink it standing in the bathroom:rotf:...........................................Ron

When I was younger in my early 20s I thought those old guys where just milking it at work...Well age and wisdom has taught me different.

I can't even have a beer without it going straight through me, might as well drink it standing in the bathroom:rotf:...........................................

Ron

I'm only 3 years older then you, and I understand more now then I did back then too.

My wife asked me to hang a wall shelf.. well I installed the screws with a hand held screw driver.. my wrist has been hurting like heck ever since..

And to think I dug water line ditches every day by hand when I was a kid...

I cant dig up a flower anymore..so I guess my body really hates me to for what I put it through...

The younger ones will be talking our talk some day..just like our elders talked it to us..

Couldn't you build one out to fit your hitch? You'll need some 3/4 inch square stock if you have a receiver on your bike.

Build your cooler rack and then weld up some 7/8 square stock on the rear of the trailer and pin your rack back there when you pull the trailer. It doesn't have to be on the tongue of the trailer.

The need for a cooler is that not everyone wants to pay 3 bucks every time they stop for a drink. I drink allot of water I put my plastic jugs in the freezer and carry them in the cooler as well as apples, oranges, fruit bars or what ever.

I bet I take allot more potty breaks now then you do also.

When I was younger in my early 20s I thought those old guys where just milking it at work with as many times as some went to the restroom.

Well age and wisdom has taught me different.

I can't even have a beer without it going straight through me, might as well drink it standing in the bathroom:rotf:...........................................Ron

Sorry Ron but your argument is like your bladder... It don't hold water.. Sorry I couldn't resist..

Thanks for the 'Young Bucks" comment but I am 50 and don't care to discuss my bodily functions and not sure what is has to do with coolers on a bike... 3 bucks for a drink??? What are you drinking besides Metamucil? My drinks cost $.50 to 1.50.

If cost is a driving factor check this: Cooler Rack $30 worth of materials for a homeade job and up to $300 for a top of the line store bought... $5 - 30 for a cooler... $1.50 for a bag of ice and whatever for you're supermarket drinks cost you.

It don't take a Math Major to figure out you would have to drink a boatload of Dr. Peppers to get a return on the cost of your cooler.. BTW I'm a bonafide Cheap Bastid... If it would save me money I'd do it... I just can't make the numbers work.

Not to mention... adding weight on the rear of your bike.. hiding your plate and/or brake lights... Yes I agree you're adding a little convenience but is it really worth it??

This might work for some people... looks like it could mount to the trunk rack

Tour Master Cortech ATV Cooler Rack Black #68353

Durable; 1000 denier nylon construction. Fully insulated and lined main compartment for cold storage needs. Inner main compartment features two mesh side and zippered top mesh pockets for re-usable freezer packs. Three external pockets with zipper closures for additional storage needs. Solid base supports bag when full. Six nylon web mounting straps with heavy duty buckles for ease of attachment. Rain cover is included and offers protection from the elements. Shoulder strap included with rubber strap pad. Dimensions: 15``L x 11``W x 12``H.

http://www.mawonline.com/photos/tm_atv_cooler_rck.gif Order # Price...... Description......

[68353] $49.95 Tour Master Cortech ATV Cooler Rack Black Mfg.#: 68353

Guest Saddletramp

I realize that alot of people tow trailers but isn't there a point that you compromise safety in regards to weight capacities in reference to braking and driveline wear?

Pulling a trailer or adding a cooler rack is like anything else in life.

It is what someone wants or think they need and offer up excuses for all the different scenarios.

I was having some fun with you guys and did not mean to ruffle feathers.

I personally like his idea and offered my opinion on how to make it

removable so he could use it on the trailer hitch of the bike.

I also gave a scenario of why those of us who have them and why in a joking half hearted manner we use a cooler.

Having some fun with body functions was kinda fun on my part but did not realize I ruffled a few feathers.

I see how sensitive a subject it can be about trailers and coolers...........Ron

It's all good Ron. No prob! It's not like us riders are a shy, quiet non-opinionated bunch. I do appreciated everyone's input.

I kind of look at a cooler set-up like a picnic basket. It's probably not really going to save anyone lots of money, but it sure is convenient sometimes. As far as weight is concerned, I don't plan on loading it up too heavy. I figure that enough other people have been doing it for sometime now without problems, so I expect it'll be fine.

I just so appreciate being able to share opinions here and to learn from others who have already figured out what works and what doesn't work. It's so much easier to learn from other people's mistakes rather than having to make them myself first.

Be Safe!

Pete.

Guest Swifty
My drinks cost $.50 to 1.50.

If it would save me money I'd do it... I just can't make the numbers work.

12 drinks on the road @ $1.50 = $18

case of 12 brand name drinks at my grocer this week .25 ea = $3 (I'm stock piling)

18 - 3 = $15

$15 = 1 tank of gas

at 2 drinks per day = 6 days on the road for a free tank of gas

During July and August spend about 42 days on the road

42 divided by 6 = 7 tanks of gas

7 tanks of gas = at least 1200 miles free!!!!

PLUS the evening and morning fruit snacks, cereal milk, coffee cream, etc. at the campsite. My numbers work for me.

Guest Popeye

My extra trunk is only for trips & mostly to keep things clean & dry.

Nice place to keep a couple sleeping bags for camping or clothes, etc., if visiting overnight.

We 'always' take 6 waters with us in a small cooler & refill 'em whenever convenient.

If I can get wife into camping, then I'll get a trailer. Don't need to put anything heavy in a trailer.

I used a discarded black wire display rack from a grocery store. Cut it down some & bolted to tongue. Found a black softside cooler from Target, it has a velcro flap that lets you get inside quickly. Good for trips to Amish country (cheese, etc). Maybe have $30.00 in the whole set-up & weighs very little empty. I need too much chrome to spend anymore!

Terry

Now look on the preparedness side ......In between cities and towns , off the beaten path , in the heat of summer , no traffic or anyone whom gives a rats azz if your broken down on the side of the road . Are ya going to jump on the cell phone and call Dominoes ? With many of our members are not young Bucks anymore (but still think we are Superman :whistling:) , having a backup plan when aid is not just around the corner would be a grand idea . Just keep it "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) and be prepared .

BEER30

My Coleman cooler I bought at a garage sale for 5 bucks angle iron at a junk yard 0 bucks, friend welded it up 0 bucks added turn buckles 9 bucks so 14 bucks total.

would of been no big deal at the time to of welded up a frame and made it duel purpose.

I could of used it on the run to day.

we went on Bloodrun 2008 this morning and a fun run it was.

petekadish your post was really cool and I like options.

I see where this versatile rack could also be used to haul the NAVIGATORS and my golf clubs...........................Ron