IGNORED

First Headset advice needed

Guest NanPaw

Guest NanPaw

:322::grandma:

Well, I am Excited!

I am about to get our first headset, I have read many of your reviews concerning other inquires on which manufacture to purchase.

But I must put it out there myself...( are you feeling me?)

I have pretty much decided on J&Ms, and I will get the best available for the money, any comments?

Keep in mind we ride half helmets and can use any input from all you other two up's...My wife uses a face shield, But I do not...

Have a blessed Day....NanPaw

My wife and I use the OEM Yamaha which is a J&M. We also have the 3/4 helmets and we both typically have faceshields up. We run voice through the headset and music through the sound system (which, in PA is the only legal option). We have no problem hearing each other and the sound is clear. The only issue we have is balancing music with voice. Hard to hear both on the highway. We are very happy with the set up. If I had it do over again and I had a few extra bucks, I would have gone bluetooth. If for no other reason, just to eliminate the cable. My wife leaves hers attached since every time we're two up we are hooked up. Mine is on and off depending on if I'm solo or with her. I would guess that eventually the little plastic doo-dad (I think that's the technical term) that holds the headset cord into the helmet is going to break. Oh, and the dealer where I purchased our helmets installed the headsets for us at no charge.

We use the J&Ms Yamaha sells. We use full face helmets so the intercom was the main reason for the headset.. Headsets are fine, as long as I make sure the wife doesn't accidentally turned down the rear volume when she gets on. I also bought a 5 pin DIN keyboard extender cable from the local computer shop ($4.99) and extended her plug in up to the back rest.

The only real issue I have is there is a faint hiss in the intercom system that bothers me after a half hour or so if I turn the intercom up over 8, but we can't comfortably talk at highway speeds unless it is at 10 or 11.

I don't have a headset for my bike yet. Not sure if I want a cord hanging off my helmet. Maybe someday. :)

J&M now has a bluetooth set up. I didn't read it all but here's the link I saw it on. I guess we could use it, but I think there's a few other things you may need from what I saw.

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/244_Headset/3738_Goldwing_Bluetooth_for_J_M_Cell_GPS_Radar/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Felectronics%2F244_goldwing_Headset%2Fdes%2F%3Fpage%3D2

Maybe this will be an option if you want a headset.

Margaret

I use the J and M 277 series for a 3/4 helmet. I looked carefully before purchasing. You need to go expensive enough to get the better microphone. After that it depends on your preference. J and M makes a decent set for 1/2 helmets. The budget sets have the basic mic and speakers. Also, the cord hooks in from the front and is one piece. The 250 series and 270 series have a smaller cord and it has a connector about 12" from the helmet. 250 and 270 both use the same cord. In the 3/4 or full-face helmets the better speakers do seem to make a difference. I purchased my headsets from Sierra-MC. I cound not have asked for better service. The rep. knew my bike and its system. He recommended headsets based both on my bike and my expected use. I wanted them in time for a weekend ride and they went the extra measure to get them out 3 day select service so that I had them. I have not tried EdSets or others as of yet.

JB

I just bought a couple of HJC AC-3 hemets with the optional face shield.

and the helmet has pockets for the speakers.

I went with the inexpensive JM mic and headset. Never had a communication

system prior to buying the RSV. so I didn't know if I'd like it. Well so far it has

worked pretty good. Peggy likes listening to the :680: with the headset

There is a little hissing in the background, but it is not bad. Maybe down the road

abit we'll get a better head set system. below are the links if you would like to see

the helmet and headset BTW the wire detaches from the helmet so you don't

have to have it hanging when you aren't using the system.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/ac3/ac3matteblack

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DHS%2D8154%2DOF

I just bought a couple of HJC AC-3 hemets with the optional face shield.

and the helmet has pockets for the speakers.

I went with the inexpensive JM mic and headset. Never had a communication

system prior to buying the RSV. so I didn't know if I'd like it. Well so far it has

worked pretty good. Peggy likes listening to the :680: with the headset

There is a little hissing in the background, but it is not bad. Maybe down the road

abit we'll get a better head set system. below are the links if you would like to see

the helmet and headset BTW the wire detaches from the helmet so you don't

have to have it hanging when you aren't using the system.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/ac3/ac3matteblack

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DHS%2D8154%2DOF

The hissing is not the headset, it is a no extra charge feature of the RSV :rotf:

Guest NanPaw

I am certainly looking forward to the intercom but the Hissing is going to be a concern....HMMMM

Be Blessed.....NanPaw:confused24:

Well if you have checked out the various responses on Headset choice I know you have seen the Edsets mentioned. I haven't had any others to compare them with, but these work great. They recently upgraded there cables at the headset , and are giving them to those who are still under warranty. Got mine in the mail a few weeks ago, but put them away until I have a problem with the one that is installed.. The sound quality of the headsets is fantastic and I use them with a full face helmet, so can't comment on any other setup.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TIM01
I have 2 headsets & lower cords I will sell for $100 they are J&M hade hooked up to 1/2 helmets worked great.

BMathes I cannot send you a email your access is blocked, send me a private message with your number and I can call you

Tim01

When only 1 helmet is plugged in you get a lot of system noise (hissing). Plug the second one in and get immediate relief. (on a 07 Venture).

The next challenge is balancing background noise picked up by the microphones. When solo, you can turn down the IC under 8. For 2-up riding either ear plugs for both riders and turn up the IC more, or try a device called mic mute (or similar) mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

Reading this today, I have another idea that I might try someday. As a ham radio operator, many of us have audio DSP (Digital Signal Processor) units that you plug into a radio and you plug your external speaker or headset into. It provides adjustable noise reduction so it filters out the steady state noise and attempts to pass through only voice. Some units are better than others at differentiating noise from voice. These operate from 12vdc and are reasonably compact, in fact there is one available that is barely an 1 long and 1/2" wide and installs inside a popular compact battery operated radio (FT-817). It would require some packaging and new units are upward of $100 so not cheap, but the occasional used unit appears.

For us hams on the forum: Maybe someone has one handy to give it a test? I do not have an external DSP unit here yet. I do plan in the next few weeks to adapt said radio (FT-817) to my Yamaha (J&M) helmet sound system to permit VHF radio contest operation on the forest roads (not on the Venture:) - the KLR 650) without needing to remove my helmet. That would let me hear what a different sound source is like, and one with a built in DSP (Icom IC-706).

Guest mitch

:confused24:I HAVE A NEW VENTURE WITH TWO J&M HARLEY HELMETS 5 PIN , EVERYTHING SEEMS TO WORK BUT WHEN I GET ON THE FREEWAY AND TURN ON THE CB AND HIT TALK BUTTON I NEVER GET AN ANSWER WHEN I ASK FOR A RADIO CHECK EVEN IF THE SQUELCH IS TURNED ALL THE WAY DOWN HELP!

No hears you on the CB? You did not mention if you have ever heard anyone when you asked for a radio check.

It is quite possible that:

1. No one is listening to the channel you are on at that time.

2. Did you hear a strong station? A strong station may seem close by but many run high power amplifiers and your bike is 4 watts or less - low power with a small antenna. They may not be able to hear you well.

3. Distance is limited mostly by brute force so getting more than a few miles with low power and a small antenna is tough. That will improve over the next few years with the improving solar cycle.

4. The low power and small antenna are suited for bike to bike communications. Best thing is to find another CB and arrange a radio check, or wait until you hear someone you think is close enough. Get outside in the clear also.

Your radio most likely works fine, but conditions are poor allowing only for close range contacts, and you go too find which channel the people are on. In the Seattle area I have noted very low activity over the last year but do hear them time to time.

Every 11 years the sunspot cycle (aka solar cycle) peaks. We are at the bottom of one now. At the sunspot peak years the attraction that brings the most CB activity is the ease that you can talk to someone across the US each day with cheap equipment. When you can only chat with a relative few, and they are the same day for day for years, most of the activity goes away util the conditions improve again. Remember the CB truck songs of the 70's? The "skip" everyone was working and amazed by? Smokey and Bandit movies glorifying CB usage?

- Mike