IGNORED

Sidestand Switch Cover and Starter Terminal Cover

Two minor issues I want to address.

My sidestand switch rubber cover is torn up. Has anyone replaced or repaired that piece?

I'm replacing the starter motor wire soon. The original has a cover over the terminal which the replacement doesn't. Is there something that can be used to cover and protect this connection?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand. Item 56 is the sidestand switch, item 5 is a Hose but neither are available anyway. Did you mean something else or am I not understanding you correctly.

You now have the part number (and a future source to look up part numbers) for the torn up cover, you have the (I think) proper Yamaha name (hose) for the part. Now you can do a search for it on the Internet, like Amazon and eBay. Lots of obsolete parts come on those 2 sites...

Edited by dna9656

Vito, my cover is torn, too. Been watching eBay, including ebay.co.uk and even the German and Netherlands sites, but never seen the cover or an OEM switch. Good luck on this one.

Thanks for the update. I was thinking of something made of rubber that would fit over the entire sidestand switch. Like a condom or a balloon only stronger. Maybe a thumb from a rubber glove. If I find something that works I'll let you know.

Thanks for the update. I was thinking of something made of rubber that would fit over the entire sidestand switch. Like a condom or a balloon only stronger. Maybe a thumb from a rubber glove. If I find something that works I'll let you know.

There are many Yamaha side stand switches of the era that appear to be nearly identical to the switch made for the Venture. The primary difference seems to be the fact that the Venture switch has three wires and contacts, whereas most of the other switches have two contacts/wires. However, many of the switches have a very similar boot. Perhaps you can find a non Venture switch that is very cheap and use just the boot? Such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Radian-YX600-side-stand-switch-fits-1986-1990-/111297211105?hash=item19e9d4aae1&vxp=mtr

Or this NOS switch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-N-O-S-P-N-15A-82566-00-00-SIDE-STAND-SWITCH-XT125-1983-/330881461440?hash=item4d0a126cc0&vxp=mtr

There are many Yamaha side stand switches of the era that appear to be nearly identical to the switch made for the Venture. The primary difference seems to be the fact that the Venture switch has three wires and contacts, whereas most of the other switches have two contacts/wires. However, many of the switches have a very similar boot. Perhaps you can find a non Venture switch that is very cheap and use just the boot? Such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Radian-YX600-side-stand-switch-fits-1986-1990-/111297211105?hash=item19e9d4aae1&vxp=mtr

Or this NOS switch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-N-O-S-P-N-15A-82566-00-00-SIDE-STAND-SWITCH-XT125-1983-/330881461440?hash=item4d0a126cc0&vxp=mtr

True dat, Vito. This is the kind of out-of -the-box thinking this site excels at. It's kinda like being in a full-motion simulator: sitting in the pilot seat you often miss things, but someone behind you wonders how you keep missing what to them is obvious. Big shout of thanks to Kevin from me at least!

The 1st gen side stand switch has 2 contacts in it, but both are switched to ground. Both normally open (side stand down). So if you were able to mount a 2nd gen side stand switch, which only has 1 contact, normally open, a minor wiring change would allow it to work.

Same principle applies to any other switch you may find.

Electrically, the switch needs to be closed when plunger is depressed. Mechanically, it needs to be mountable and allow side stand to depress plunger when side stand is up.

Gary