IGNORED

Vmax redline vs RSV

Midrsv

Just curious, I was in a dealership today and I saw a couple of Vmax on the floor and noticed the redline on the tach was around 9500 or 10000 rpm. I thought I had heard that the engines were very similar internally. What's inside a Vmax that enables it to rev 3000 more rpm? Or, is Yamaha just being real conservative with the 5 yr warranty?

DT

Just curious, I was in a dealership today and I saw a couple of Vmax on the floor and noticed the redline on the tach was around 9500 or 10000 rpm. I thought I had heard that the engines were very similar internally. What's inside a Vmax that enables it to rev 3000 more rpm? Or, is Yamaha just being real conservative with the 5 yr warranty?

DT

the vmax has stiffer valve springs. if you over rev a venture the valves float and hit the pistons, and bend. i have my rev limit set at a safe 7200 rpm. would'nt go past that on a venture. you'll need a dyna 3000 to do that. bill

the vmax has stiffer valve springs. if you over rev a venture the valves float and hit the pistons, and bend. i have my rev limit set at a safe 7200 rpm. would'nt go past that on a venture. you'll need a dyna 3000 to do that. bill

Thanks, that sounds reasonable.

DT

Just FWIW, I have spun 1st gens past 8K without valves floating, the engine pulls very strong even at that high RPM. Like Bill said heavier springs is what enables the Max to spin up like that, probably a stouter conn rod also. You can bet thats why Yamaha put the rev limiter on the G2 was for the warranty.

Just FWIW, I have spun 1st gens past 8K without valves floating, the engine pulls very strong even at that high RPM. Like Bill said heavier springs is what enables the Max to spin up like that, probably a stouter conn rod also. You can bet thats why Yamaha put the rev limiter on the G2 was for the warranty.
your right brad . mine is still pulling hard at 7200. i'm sure it has to do with the 5 year warranty. it's usually when you miss a shift with no limiter that you wipe out the valves. i had an all out bigbore 750 honda with yoshimura cams it would pull 13,000 if you missed a shift. replaced all of the valves twice. that ain't no fun. :2133:

i have a 01 standard royal star, which has single springs in it. about 8k i opened the air box, rejetted and put on a dk3 ing box set at 7.000 rpm. i have ran it almost all the 60,000 miles to date wide open. i have never heard or felt the motor bog or studder while ridinf it. many has told me i would float a valve or wreck the motor if i did this. HOW MANY ROYALS OR VENTURES HAVE YY'LL HEARD OF DOING THIS??? i have heard of none of the many thousands i know of. i have heard of stuck valves or broken cams caused by chunks of carbon breaking loose. the dk3 will only go to 8,000 rpm, still way under what we know the v-max will do

I figure you can trust the rev limiter (maybe not too often!) because Yami set it up. I don't know about the 2nd gen, but my first gen pulls all the way to 10k revs. That is where my rev limiter kicks in; and shifting to 3rd at that point is 103 on the clock. I don't use that very often, but it's nice to know that it is there!

I figure you can trust the rev limiter (maybe not too often!) because Yami set it up. I don't know about the 2nd gen, but my first gen pulls all the way to 10k revs. That is where my rev limiter kicks in; and shifting to 3rd at that point is 103 on the clock. I don't use that very often, but it's nice to know that it is there!

i agree, sixer!

don't think mine has ever come close to the "rev limiter", but my brother , bisquit, says it is doing 118 mph, in 5th gear, at redline!

i don't aim to find out if that' true or not.

i never had a "need for speed"!

just jt