IGNORED

Got it on the road - brake question

I bought a project 83 Venture and finally got it together and got it out on the road today. Ran a bit rough at first but them more I rode it the smoother she got. I have no rear brakes. Front seem plenty strong. My question: Is there a separate brake reservior for the rear brake on the 83. I looked through an online owners manual and didn't find the info I needed. If it shares the same as the front - any ideas on what needs to be done to get rear brakes? I'll try to post a picture.

image.jpg

OK not tryin to be a wise acre here, but where does the brake pedal go? Somehow it has to either compress a master or some type valve to send fluid to the caliper. Now in a search I did looking for location I did run across a couple write ups about proportioning valves.

The reservoir is just above the master that the linkage goes to. The reservoir/master feeds the rear and left front calipers. When you fill and bleed the calipers, make sure you leave some room in the top of the reservoir so when the brakes heat up that they do not lock up. Also, make sure you have an 8mm wrench with you if you need to let some fluid out.

Randy

I bought a project 83 Venture and finally got it together and got it out on the road today. Ran a bit rough at first but them more I rode it the smoother she got. I have no rear brakes. Front seem plenty strong. My question: Is there a separate brake reservior for the rear brake on the 83. I looked through an online owners manual and didn't find the info I needed. If it shares the same as the front - any ideas on what needs to be done to get rear brakes? I'll try to post a picture.

Indeed there is a rear brake master cylinder AND reservoir. 3DP-2583V, 1983-1985 rear assembly.jpg This assembly is located immediately above the brake pedal pivot, behind a black plastic cover held with two screws.

Apparently, you are not aware that the Venture has a "linked" brake system. Depressing the "rear" brake pedal acts on the rear brake caliper AND the left front brake caliper.

A complete flushing and cleaning of the entire brake system is probably in order. Old brake fluid tends to crystallize and/or gel. This degradation plays havoc with master cylinders, calipers, metering valve and proportioning valve; all devices with small (sometimes TINY) orifices that become plugged with the crystallized brake fluid.

Indeed there is a rear brake master cylinder AND reservoir. [ATTACH=CONFIG]98104[/ATTACH] This assembly is located immediately above the brake pedal pivot, behind a black plastic cover held with two screws.

Apparently, you are not aware that the Venture has a "linked" brake system. Depressing the "rear" brake pedal acts on the rear brake caliper AND the left front brake caliper.

A complete flushing and cleaning of the entire brake system is probably in order. Old brake fluid tends to crystallize and/or gel. This degradation plays havoc with master cylinders, calipers, metering valve and proportioning valve; all devices with small (sometimes TINY) orifices that become plugged with the crystallized brake fluid.

Thanks I will have to look into it this week!