IGNORED

Carb differences

Jetting sizes YICS system vs. normal aspiration.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I should have been more specific. I am having trouble with my carbs http://www.venturerider.org/forum/first-generation-venture-tech-talk/96821-carb-trouble.html. I have another set that I am not sure if they are from a MK1 or MK2. So what specifically would I be looking for to tell the difference?

One would need to remove the float cover, then remove the jet body, then unscrew the jets and closely examine the numbers stamped on each jet. The 1200cc engine with YICS has different jet sizes from the 1300cc normally aspirated carb jets. These include the main jet and the 2 pilot jets, among others.

Otherwise, the carbs are identical, and are interchangeable. Only difference would be if the jets aren't correct for that engine, driveability issues will soon be evident, such as stumbling, backfire, different roll-on performance, overheat, and plug fouling/damage, poor economy..... most notable under the worst conditions i.e two up riding in the mountains, and consistent high speed on the big slab.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Started it today I took off the airbox and the 3 carbs that pool gas have fuel running around the needle and collecting on the butterfly valves. Also fuel is coming from, I think it's the main air jet on top of the 3 carbs.

Wrong thread.

Edited by mralex714

The throttle plates would I think be slightly larger as the 1300 used 35 mm carbs vs 34 mm on the 1200's.

I thought so too, but looked it up. According to the service manuals they're both BDS34.

mralex714 - the float bowls are overfilling. Looking through the air box at them won't solve it. If it were me I would not assume it's the o-rings on the needle seats. I'd pull them off, pull the bowls, invert the racks, spray the needle/seat area with soapy water and blow in the fuel inlet. See where they are leaking. Then fix whatever the problem is.

I thought so too, but looked it up. According to the service manuals they're both BDS34.

My 86-92 service manual shows a BDS-35 mm carb. Note this is Canadian bikes (1992 was last year up here).

My MKII service manual and the one posted here says BDS-34, but my MKII owners manual shows BDS-35.:bang head:

I tend to believe my owners manual. Too many parts different to be the same body as the MKI. Next time I have them off I'm going to measure them.......

The 83-85 carburetors should have an ID mark on the body of 41R00.

The 1983 carbs will be marked with an inked stamp on the float bowl as "26H"

IMG_0890 (Large).jpg

I should have been more specific. I am having trouble with my carbs http://www.venturerider.org/forum/first-generation-venture-tech-talk/96821-carb-trouble.html. I have another set that I am not sure if they are from a MK1 or MK2. So what specifically would I be looking for to tell the difference?

The 1983 carb butterflies will have "135" stamped on them.

The 1984 carb butterflies will have "140" stamped.

The 1986-1993 carb butterflies will have "130" stamped on the butterflies.

1983 carb throttle plate.jpg1984 carb throttle plate.jpg1987 carb throttle plate1.JPG

Easiest way I know of to tell difference if carbs are off motor is that the 86-93 carbs have a large chamfer on the lower portion that fits into intake manifold. The 83-85 have a very small chamfer. Pictures of each attached. The 86-93 set have the red crossbar seen on right side of picture.

Also you can measure the throat of the carb. 83-85's are 34mm (1.34"), 86-93 are 35mm (1.39")

Service manual is wrong about 34mm carbs on the MKII's. I have had racks from each side by side and they have a different bore.

Gary

87 base w chamfer.JPG

83 base wo chamfer.JPG