IGNORED

Exhaust Collector

Reading around the site and came across the article about the Exhaust collector. I see the people who had built a replacement for the 1st gen are no longer around.

So why do we need the collector? To balance the exhaust output? I doubt it's about back pressure since our mufflers have a ton of back pressure by design.

Guess what I'm thinking is to do anyway with the collector opens up the underside nicely. Leaving a nice hole for stray bolts and nuts to find their way out when my fumble fingers drop them! Plus, it would allow access to other parts of the underside as well...making it easier to clean up leaks, etc.. as well as eliminate the rattle nosie we can get when the insides of the collector fail...

Just thinking....again...(dangerous):stirthepot:

Plenty of ways to continue the pipes through to mufflers....slight bends on a straight pipe would work...

True. However, there are four header pipes and just two muffler inlets. The collector acts as, ...well, a collector, to combine four into two. That would, I think, complicate things. Are you thinking about four mufflers? Like the early Royal Star? Zagger's rat bike has four straight pipes (no collector). I think that set-up might ruin the 'touring' experience, though.

Actually, the stock collector does a good job in a compact way to channel four into two. Having said that, I would be interested in your ideas and the resultant fabrication. Maybe something along the lines of the Second Gen? No collector but there IS the Y-pipe on either side and the Second Gen rear header pipes exit the head already going to the outside of the bike. Perhaps, Second Gen heads and pipes and mufflers?

Edited by Prairiehammer

David,

After recently giving away one of my extra collectors to a member here, my bike then developed the "cold rattle". Seems to go away when it warms up. Anyway, I have read up on the "repair". After taking the one I gave away off of one of my parts bikes ( which was a real PIA) I have decided to take the other one off the parts bike and have a friend of mine repair it. He does stainless welding so he said he could fix it. Maybe he could do both at the same time..

Bill

Bill...mine doesn't rattle...yet. But as the bike came from Wisconsin...it probably does have a lot of rust. I know the center stand is rusted...so....Mine might not be long for the world.

I was just thinking of what the underside would be like without the collector always in the way.

But yea...that is a good thought...get them both done at the same time. Problem is...we are getting into the best time for riding between February and May...and I plan to be on the road a lot. Do you have a time frame in mind?

david