IGNORED

Central Florida roads

CaptainJoe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe are you guys planning to leave the day after the rocket launch if so you can come back to my house and you guys can stay the night here I will take you back roads through and around the east side of Lake Okeechobee all the way south down 27 To chrome Boulevard (992) which brings you through the Redlands and down into Key Largo, not BS of riding through Miami. What say you? Karen and Capt. D will be with us.

Joe are you guys planning to leave the day after the rocket launch if so you can come back to my house and you guys can stay the night here I will take you back roads through and around the east side of Lake Okeechobee all the way south down 27 To chrome Boulevard (992) which brings you through the Redlands and down into Key Largo, not BS of riding through Miami. What say you? Karen and Capt. D will be with us.

Mike,

That's definitely doable.

Only thoughts are, if the launch is on time we will have two full days to kill. Friday and Saturday. Most of Friday will be taken up with the ride down. Would like to be close to the keys Saturday night. as Sunday will be an easy ride to Marathon, checkin at 3PM .

Wouldn't mind seeing Everglades park Saturday . Question is where to stay friday and Saturday night; around Homestead area? or, north if cheaper. Any suggestions?

Any must sees in the area?

Any thoughts?

Edited by CaptainJoe

Yep, Card Sound Rd might be more interesting to ride than #1 to Key Largo. But, #1 is interesting too in that you see more water and it has a place beside the bridge just before you get to Key Largo called Gilberts. It's a decent restaurant with outdoor seating and they usually have a band playing there on the weekends. Lots of bikers stop there. Boaters pull up and dock and have a meal and/or refreshments.

And if you do go fishing, most of the restaurants in the Keys will cook your cleaned fish for you. And if you go fishing on one of the boats they clean/fillet your fish for you. We had the Sundowners Restaurant in Key Largo cook some of our fish more than once. About as fresh as you can get.

If you run card sound road down you'll have to backtrack about a mile to come back over the big bridge to get to Gilberts Gilbert is just north of Key Largo Karen and I and a friend met there for lunch last weekend Gilberts puts out some really good seafood and if you like ceviche that's the place to get it

Ha!

Made me looK it up:

Ceviche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't like rawfish.... so I'll pass...

I'll take the fresh caught fried fish sandwiches any day!

My daughter eats this kind of stuff all the time.

Which reminds me... Leo, what was that I tried in Islamaorada. The husband and wife ordered me one ?

nice to know the restaurant is only a mile up rt#1

Well its been a few years since I've run over that side of the state, but it used to be that US 1 or A1A you got to see a lot of the "OLD FLORIDA" I know that most of it is one big strip mall from Miami to almost Vero beach and then again from Melbourne to the state line, but there is still alittle of it left.

Out of Vero Beach I'm taking them Southwest through the orange orchard down a cross-section of 70 down more back roads until we get to the left upper corner of Lake Okeechobee from there were riding down 89 down through the small towns for pohokee, cut through the Sugarcane fields of Domino sugar down around Southbay and and straight down route 27 until we get down into Miami Dade which is Krome Boulevard and running south down from S4

R 41 and 41 through the Indian are the Miccosukee Indian reservation down to the old western side of Miami which is called Retlends into Homestead and finally down into a Key Largo on to card sound Road then backtrack 1 mile to Gilberts for lunch from there I'll say my goodbyes and turn around and head back to Vero Beach

Well its been a few years since I've run over that side of the state, but it used to be that US 1 or A1A you got to see a lot of the "OLD FLORIDA" I know that most of it is one big strip mall from Miami to almost Vero beach and then again from Melbourne to the state line, but there is still alittle of it left.

thanks,

I've been on those roads before around Titusville it's beautiful, the closer you get to Miami the more stop and go... built up over the years to the point it's uninteresting.. That's why I'd prefer to go inland to central Florida. to see the folks.

Out of Vero Beach I'm taking them Southwest through the orange orchard down a cross-section of 70 down more back roads until we get to the left upper corner of Lake Okeechobee from there were riding down 89 down through the small towns for pohokee, cut through the Sugarcane fields of Domino sugar down around Southbay and and straight down route 27 until we get down into Miami Dade which is Krome Boulevard and running south down from S4

R 41 and 41 through the Indian are the Miccosukee Indian reservation down to the old western side of Miami which is called Retlends into Homestead and finally down into a Key Largo on to card sound Road then backtrack 1 mile to Gilberts for lunch from there I'll say my goodbyes and turn around and head back to Vero Beach

Our reservations in Marathon, FL don't start till 3 pm Sunday.

That's why I was inquiring about sight seeing in central florida around the lakes.

From my house to Karen's area is exactly 3 hours that's 170 miles down the back roads around the lake it takes another hour and a half to go down the back roads to get down to Key Largo figure lunch at Gilberts is about an hour or hour and a half from there or you're probably about 35 or 40 miles north of marathon you will not have a problem making it there for 5 o'clock.so if we left my place by about 8:00 or 830 in the morning you will not get to your destination till about 530