IGNORED

What's in a name? (Tell us about your username)

pbjman

It's the name of a Niel Young song from the Trans album. Kind of Niel's (initial) exploration of digital sound processing. Album also has the immortal song "T-bone" which is literally 9 1/2 minutes of "Got mashed potatoes, Got mashed potatoes, Got mashed potatoes, Ain't got no T-bone, Ain't got no T-bone" along with the instrumentals that get pretty good in some parts. I enjoyed the album and identified with the sentiment of the Computer Cowboy tune since I was and maybe still will be making my living as a Software Engineer.

Syscrusher (Computer Cowboy)

T-bone

http://blog-imgs-37-origin.fc2.com/k/e/n/kenzeeybb/neilyoung_trans.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth about Zzyzx:

Known history. Initially known as “Soda Springs”, this was a popular stop for Indians, Spanish explorers, an Army outpost, miners, and the railroad. In 1944, LA radio evangelist Curtis H. Springer decided to make the mineral springs a health resort. As a gimmick to be the last listing in any directory, he and is wife ended up naming it the “Zzyzx Mineral Springs and Health Resort” as it’s “the last word in health” and the last word in the English language. The government realized on day he had no claim to the land and in 1974 evicted everyone. The BLM took it over and opened a desert research center where the spa used to be.

Currently an abandoned town located in the desert Between Las Vegas and LA.

Actually the story was that it had been a hot spot where Hollywood stars would come to get away from it all. The old photos make it look like it was beautiful. I've been there, you can get some idea of things from the nice pool or lake with the island in the center and the neatly planted rows of palms that demarcate the parking areas. It is still in use by someone but no one came out of any of the buildings when I was there but signs of life are fresh. Right behind the resort buildings there is a shallow dry salt or alkali lake bed.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/53e69ebce4b0c8e23ff69a07/53f35fbde4b051d4cb599177/53f2819ee4b0ed76901c4354/1408411141313/zzyzx_20091030_04pw.jpg