IGNORED

Sounds and vibes: what's normal?

Now that the bike is running well, I can move on the other things. Being my first cruiser, I don't know what to expect in the way of sounds, noises, and vibrations. I have a new Bridgestone OEM profile tire up front, and ordered the rear today. I think I hear one or the other of the tires "singing" on asphalt roads above about 45 mph. At least I hope it's tire noise.

What should I expect if it were high-freq vibes coming from the drive train? I would expect to feel it, but I don't. The only vibes I can feel come in 4th gear, a mid- to high-freq buzz that goes away in 5th.

The sound above 45 increases with speed, and doesn't change pitch if I downshift, just changes with speed.

What's everybody else's experience? Are these bikes normally smoove like buttah, or is there always a little buzzing of some sort? My dual-shock enduros in the '70s would shake your teeth loose and make your butt itch if you road at 60 for very long, but I figured a big beast like this would be silky. Or is it because it's an '83?

Thanks for the info.:detective:

If you've got a buzz in 4th gear that goes away in 5th at the same speed I'd be looking for something with the exhaust system. I believe there is a baffle in the collector box that tends to break loose.

Your other noise is probably tires or wheel bearings. Check the bearings when you have the wheels off.

Your other noise is probably tires or wheel bearings. Check the bearings when you have the wheels off.

I've looked at the bearings before but I'll check again when the new tire comes in.

You may have something on the exhaust, too. When I first got it running it blew the remains of a mouse next out the left exhaust. There may still be crud in there that needs to come out. But why mainly in 4th gear? And the collector is a replacement from ebay; the original was bodged beyond repair, rusted in place where it joined the exhaust pipes. Both sides broke off when I tried to separate them. The copper seals are new, however. The old ones were hard and unpliable.

How fast are you going in 4th or 5th gears.

I rarely ever use 5th below 65mph.

Still babying it till I get a feel for the old gal. Been loafing along at 50 to 60 in 5th on back country roads. Haven't dared the interstate yet.

Took the rear wheel off today in prep for the new tire and figured I'd listen and feel for noise and vibes like that. All seemed smooth but in 3rd gear, started to hear a sort of clacking sound. 4th was louder, 5th even louder. Seemed to be coming from the middle gear area. U-joint going/gone bad? Removed the final drive unit and checked for freeplay and roughness in the driveshaft, but felt nothing that seemed amiss. There's a small amount of freeplay at the driveshaft end, but doesn't feel like much.

So now gonna search for posts on replacing the u-joint bearings, just in cases...

When you have the powertrain uloaded and idle in gear the transmission will rattle. Nothing to be concerned about.

Yep, I expect that. What I'm hearing is in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. This is with the rear wheel removed, sitting on the center stand. Revved to about 2000. But I realize with no real load it's not the same so what I hear may not be anything. Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I expect that. What I'm hearing is in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. This is with the rear wheel removed, sitting on the center stand. Revved to about 2000. But I realize with no real load it's not the same so what I hear may not be anything. Thanks for the reply.

You will get some rattle while on the centerstand with the bike running in gear due the the u-joint being at a higher angle than normal.

RandyA

You will get some rattle while on the centerstand with the bike running in gear due the the u-joint being at a higher angle than normal.

RandyA

I think it's more than that. The engine slows down a bit then speeds up as each cylinder undergoes compression then ignition. Without any load the transmission can coast ahead of it then there is a knock when the engine catches back up. Ends up making a rattle sound.

Since you have the rear wheel off, you would be wise to manually grease the driveshaft splines (the grease zerk was ineffective)and service the hub pins in the rear wheel.

Old aircraft mechanic, so right there with ya. If it comes apart it gets the once-over and any required lube.

Rode with the new tire and all seems well. I read somewhere in the posts that the type (synthetic vs. *insert word here for non-synthetic when I remember*) makes a difference in final drive noise so that will be my next step. I think synthetic is quieter? Think that's what I read.