IGNORED

Rear End Questions:

Ah, also pertinent to me. On the caliper bracket, the parts diagrams don't show any washers/spacers where the bracket slides onto the pivot mount on the swingarm. I've had one washer on the pivot but yesterday found another laying on the ground under the swingarm. Only takes one, right? Two or none seemed to cause misalignment. No clue where the extra washer came from.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 83 does not have any washers on the post sticking out of the swing arm. I would think that might put the bracket in a bind. :confused24:

RandyA

Thanks Randy. Makes sense as, with the washer, the bracket doesn't go all the way onto the post. Probably added by the PO. Come to think, the rear did seem to be overly warm after riding. I just ass-you-me'd if was from the heat of the engine and tranny. I'll remove and check it.

Richard

Um...solved the washer issue. Took off the left side muffler/ pax foot peg support to get at my voltage regulator for another post and there was the washer. It's a spacer for the muffler mount bolt and fell out when I took the right side off to change the rear wheel. Guess the PO did something similar but put it on the caliper bracket instead of the muffler mount. It's back where it belongs.

:happy65::cool10::biker:

Update: Research on old posts found note about the packing on the exhaust comes loose on right side and get's lost during R&R. Sure enough...nothing there on right side muffler so clamp doesn't have enough "material" to clamp the muffler tight to exhaust pipe. Bought some silver repair tape, cut and wrapped. Muffler back on a tight. So now everything is tight. "Sashaying" could have been muffler moving around during buffeting. Maybe....Doesn't matter, found muffler issue and fixed it.

Still concerned about possible brake drag on rear...(after new pads)...but will test ride again today. If still getting rear rotor hot, I'll go ahead and drain & clean the rear system as pinhole relief might be plugged. Need to do anyway at some point, as it's about the one system left I haven't gone over since I bought bike. Can't hurt.

I'm enjoying working on "The Scoot". Fun to get greased again...!

Test Ride results for today:

Bike ran great. Smooth with little buffeting. Loose muffler must have been the culprit....which I find hard to believe...but ran good for over 50 miles.

Rear disc got hot to touch.....but that was it. After long 75mph run, I pulled into a friend's house, we threw bike up on center stand...and I could still spin rear wheel with fingers. So...yea I still have brake dragging but I'm not going to worry about it. Will clean up the rear brake system at some point soon. MPG's are down...probably brake drag. two bars left on gauge with 100 miles on clock. Usually got more. Put some more miles on new tires and brakes and see where the mpg's are at that point.

Good run today...sorry no pictures. No one to take pics of me zooming by!

:whistling: