Here are the close-up pics of the dogs and gear. Thrust washer is worn almost 1/3rd of the way through. Needs undercut, huh? Wanna do it for me?

Dan

I'll try it again, this time I'll actually add the pictures!!!! Dooooh!

I can't wait to hear the outcome from this.

Have you ever had second gear.................

If not, hang on tite on your first power run through 3rd gear........it'll fly!!!

Yours looks about as bad as mine did, but with a minimal expense and a little grinder work (as randy prescribed) I can't make it jump out of second gear now.

And be sure to add your success story to this thread..

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17965

Fixit, never got to get it on in 2nd, but 1st and 3rd was OK. THis fix along with putting on the vboost under the carbs should get me at least "Warp 3", I'm thinkin'. Not that I will always ride like that, but if you need it to get out of a situation, it'll be there! Definately will not be pulling the trigger on the vboost with the Navigator on there!

By the way, did you do your own cutting on the dogs? I'm kind of hesitant after reading Randy's column on this, but I could be psyching myself out. However, I'm not above letting someone else who has more experience do this for me.

Thanks,

Dan

Fixit, never got to get it on in 2nd, but 1st and 3rd was OK. THis fix along with putting on the vboost under the carbs should get me at least "Warp 3", I'm thinkin'. Not that I will always ride like that, but if you need it to get out of a situation, it'll be there! Definately will not be pulling the trigger on the vboost with the Navigator on there!

By the way, did you do your own cutting on the dogs? I'm kind of hesitant after reading Randy's column on this, but I could be psyching myself out. However, I'm not above letting someone else who has more experience do this for me.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, It is obvious why you are having 2nd gear problems, as you know. You do have a bit of a "rounded off" leading edge on the dogs. Given the amount of obvious wear, I will take back my earlier comment that you may be able to get back in good shape with just replaceing the thrust washer to the newer ones. I also suspect you will have a bent fork. Did you try putting the gear set in the lower half of the case that has the forks and see if the spacing was the same at the top as the bottom of the forks?

If you want, I will be glad to help you in grinding the dogs, or I could trade out with you and give you my undercut gears, since I went to the 86 gearset. I just need to take it apart and see how it looks.

Also, if fixit wants to jump in on doing the dog grinding, he knows what he is doing.

RandyA

Randy, once I took it apart and got the close-up pics, I knew it needed cut. I will review the thread tonite on the procedure, and will make the determination then. It really surprised me how much the thrust washer was worn down. I wonder if one has ever worn all the way through? What a mess that would create! Thanks for looking, I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the fork, not much cost there. A previous post shows the wear on the fork.

Dan

Shame on me, Dan.

I did left your Posting open to answer when i saw it last night, but a urgent Problem with my Friends Bike came up and we discussed this until 2 am local.

I think, as Randy stated, the Gear and the Dogs are not worn that much and need or to be replaced. New Thrust Washer and undercut of the Dogs will make the Gears hold up for a long Time. I think i would give also the female Side of the adjoining Gear slight Work with a File or a Dremel, just to get the Edges a bit sharper than they are now. Then undercut the Dogs and you will be fine. A new Shiftfork will be in Order.

Thanks, Squeeze. Fork will be ordered and I'm trying to work up the courage to do the grind myself. Can't believe that thrust washer was worn down like that. Oh well, everything will be fine when I get it done.

Dan

Thanks, Squeeze. Fork will be ordered and I'm trying to work up the courage to do the grind myself. Can't believe that thrust washer was worn down like that. Oh well, everything will be fine when I get it done.

Dan

Dan, do i read Doubts between the Lines ? I hope not.

I respectfully say, with all the Work you've done so far, getting the Parts grinded to even out the Damage and make them stronger holding up on upcoming Rides will not make you fail. You will be just fine.

Why ?

Because you're not approaching the Job with a "Ok, lets do it" Attitude. You do not believe that the Project you have set up is easy and can be done between ordering a Pizza and

making Appointment for the later Evening. You know you can do it, but you have Respect to the Challenge you're facing. You think about what has to be done and then take your Steps to make it happen. That's why i'm convinced that you will get everything together and working like it should. Just keep up the Attitude and the good Work.

Thanks Squeeze, I really appreciate the vote of confidence, I think I know what my limits of ability are, but I don't mind "pushing the envelope" as long as I know what I'm doing. If I screw it up bad enough, I can always order a new set!!!!!!!

Dan