IGNORED

What's that "stuff" supplied with caliper seal kit?

Usually rubber parts of a brake caliper are lubricated with brake fluid. Although Brembo supplies assemble grease. Just keep in mind some kits contain a red gue that is applied to the back of the pads to reduce brake squeal. It goes on like thick grease then sets up like silicone. Make sure which you have before putting it on your seals.

Mike

Edited by MikeWa

Usually rubber parts of a brake caliper are lubricated with brake fluid. Although Brembo supplies assemble grease. Just keep in mind some kits contain a red gue that is applied to the back of the pads to reduce brake squeal. It goes on like thick grease then sets up like silicone. Make sure which you have before putting it on your seals.

Mike

:sign yeah that:

It's very confusing to me. My thoughts are that since this "red stuff" is supplied with the seals only, it must go on them. I would think that the anti-squeal would be supplied with the pads, not the seals. But we all know that common sense doesn't always prevail these days.

I'm going to leave a glob of it out tonight and see how it reacts.

Has anyone put oem seals in their 83 lately and how did you use the packet of red "stuff"?

I am surpeised that much grease does not contaminate the brake fluid. But the video says it is ok, so.

I also just did wanted to make sure he did not have a small package of this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrZMxWHzCE]Applying CRC Disc Brake Quiet - YouTube[/ame]

Mike

I am surpeised that much grease does not contaminate the brake fluid. But the video says it is ok, so.

I also just did wanted to make sure he did not have a small package of this.

Mike

I hope so too Mike. Get that stuff inside the lines and it'll screw everything up. I've rebuilt quite a few calipers and never used an assembly lube. Just DOT 3-4. Brake pads will sometimes come with that anti-squeal stuff....

I hope so too Mike. Get that stuff inside the lines and it'll screw everything up. I've rebuilt quite a few calipers and never used an assembly lube. Just DOT 3-4. Brake pads will sometimes come with that anti-squeal stuff....

Condor

Yes I watched the video on using the grease. Didn't like it. Way to much grease. The only moving part in a caliper is the piston rubbing the inside of the seal. The piston does not make contact with the inside of the caliper. There is no valid reason to grease anything else since nothing else touches. There is supposed to be no air or moisture in the brake fluid (bleeding) so smearing all that grease inside the caliper only contaminates the brake fluid.

Just my opinion based on 40 years of rebuilding brakes.

Mike

It's very confusing to me. My thoughts are that since this "red stuff" is supplied with the seals only, it must go on them. I would think that the anti-squeal would be supplied with the pads, not the seals. But we all know that common sense doesn't always prevail these days.

I'm going to leave a glob of it out tonight and see how it reacts.

Has anyone put oem seals in their 83 lately and how did you use the packet of red "stuff"?

I did my calipers, they were pretty crusty (no exaggeration) inside. I got the PINK grease and no instructions...buy yeah it's to lube the o rings but brake fluid works too. I used )))) steel wool to polish the cups and the bores in the calipers, have had no problems.

I did my calipers, they were pretty crusty (no exaggeration) inside. I got the PINK grease and no instructions...buy yeah it's to lube the o rings but brake fluid works too. I used )))) steel wool to polish the cups and the bores in the calipers, have had no problems.

Yea Doug. Sounds like you did it the right way. The largest surface area to be concerned about is the side of the piston. That is the area that slides on the seal. It should be polished bright and be free from defects.

On automobiles most calipers are a sliding design. That is where problems occur. The slides being external to the caliper become corroded and sticky. This caused the brakes to wear, pull and grab. If the slides are not properly cleaned and lubricated when replacing pads future problems can occur.

This is not the issue on our bikes because we have pistons on both sides of the caliper. The caliper is therefore not required to move on slides.

Mike

Actually Mike, the 2nd gen front calipers only have pistons on one side.

Dang. You got me.

So in looking at the manual it appears the front calipers do indeed have slides. Covered with expanding rubber dust shields. With a piston on only one side something has to move to accommodate pad wear. Either the caliper or the rotor has to float or slide. It appears that on the Venture it is the caliper. I stand corrected. So the slides should be cleaned when replacing pads. More work. Thanks Neil

Mike