IGNORED

Hesitation on throttle

shylow1948

I had an issue like that after I installed K&N filters and opened up my air boxes, I had to re shim the slider needles, still had just a little hesitation under certain hard throttle conditions, ended up putting stock air boxes back on, kept the K&Ns.

You did not say if the bike is new to you or if you have had it for a while, and if this just started or what the history is, so a little tough to help you trouble shoot. If the bike is new to you and you have not checked the air boxes and air filters , I would start there. Check the second gen tech pages there is an article on adjusting the shims I believe.

Its a 2nd Gen???:think::whistling:

Have been using a cleaner?

I use Marvel Mystery Oil on one that is running good and it seems to keep them going. I'm still a big believer in Sea-Foam but they just keep shoving that price up there and Marvel Mystery Oil does a great job of keeping one going. If they start acting up give them a shot of Sea0-Foam or a can of BerryMans Chem Tech to a full tank. The fuel they make us use any more is junk and can cause a lot of problems.

If your problem is coming up off of idle or other low-speed running, then you probably have some clogged pilot jets and are running off the mains just to keep the RPM up. With a CV carb, this leaves you no "cushion" of fuel to take up the slack with the sudden increase of air as you open the throttle. The mains cannot add any fuel until the slides start to rise, and CV carbs are specifically designed to delay this (to avoid that exact problem).

Goose

I'm running K&N's along with a set of nasty Harley slip-ons on the '04, and it responds to the throttle in a Nano-sec. So I don't think it has anything to do with air filter, or the exhaust. My thinking it might? be something to do with the booster and timing advance??

I've had numerous models of bikes including my RSTD, fixed the throttle hesitation (as long as the carbs were clean) with larger pilot jets or setting the pilot screws out more. If you have them at 4 turns, you need the next size bigger.

If you have messed with (opened up) the air box, you'll need bigger pilots to get it right with no hesitation.