IGNORED

Just had my bike painted-Need help reinstalling trim

A friend of mine just repainted my bike and now have the task of putting it back together. My issue is with reinstalling the aluminum trim pieces on the trunk and bags, and the plastic trim on the false tank cover. What adhesive would you use? Thanks Al

Edited by alvald83

Most trim pieces I see used on vehicles use a double sided body tape. 3-M brand is the preferred tape thou there are others. Any paint supply or auto parts stores carry it. I've even the tape in hardware and discount stores like Wal-Mart's.

There's also silicone type sealers that can work too. Again the preferred source isauto parts and paints shops for specific auto applications.:080402gudl_prv:

Larry

A friend of mine just repainted my bike and now have the task of putting it back together. My issue is with reinstalling the aluminum trim pieces on the trunk and bags, and the plastic trim on the false tank cover. What adhesive would you use? Thanks Al

Al,

RE: the saddlebags and the trunk; if I understand you correctly, you disassembled the ABS parts from the aluminum rim that runs around the opening of the trunk and bags? I have never removed those pieces before, but it appears there are several TINY screws holding the aluminum to the clamshells. I suppose there may have been some sort of sealant in the bottom of the aluminum channel to prevent water intrusion, but that would be only a guess. At any rate, it appears the aluminum is secured to the ABS primarily with those little Phillips/JIS screws. Perhaps a SMALL bead of sealant too, acting both as a water barrier and an adhesive. Was there any evidence of such a sealant or adhesive when you disassembled the trunk and saddlebags? If you elect to apply some sealant, make sure that the sealant is compatible with the ABS plastic.

RE: the plastic trim on the false tank cover/top cover; are you speaking of the black channel that is pushed onto the lower edge of the tank cover where it meets the fairing? If so, on my '83, that black trim is just pushed on. No adhesive. If your trim channel (Yamaha calls it a MOLE, sidecover 1&2) is loose and won't snap on securely, try pinching the channel a little bit so it grasps the edge of the tank cover more securely. Failing that, a SMALL bead of appropriate adhesive should work. When selecting an adhesive, look for an adhesive that does NOT have acetone, methyl chloride, toluene, or some other solvent that may damage the ABS. For some applications, I've had success with a good quality (3M products) automotive trim double faced foam backed tape.

Good luck.

When I bought my '99 RSV the PO had removed the emblems from the gas tank. I got them back and by recommendation of folks from here, I went to the auto parts store and bought 3M brand trim tape. Strong stuff and works great and relatively inexpensive.

Its the aluminum trim pieces that I am worried about. Firstly, the new paint makes it hard to reinstall. it looks like ill have to sand the edges to be able to re-install them. Since I didn't remove them, I didn't see how they were attached. My painter friend gave me the parts back so that I could reinstall them per our agreement. There is some riveting that has to be done as well. I havnt begun so ill have to figure that one out as well.

Ive been trying to reinstall this trim...its killing me! I tapped the molding as far as I could and it seemed to be seated nicely, so I installed the scews. While riveting the hinges in place the molding eventually worked its way loose. The screws just slid up away from the plastic. Inside the channel there is a small rubber gasket just like the one on the outside to seal water. I may be trying some type of sealer/adhesive to try to keep it in place.

Edited by alvald83

• 4 weeks later...