IGNORED

Vmax Final Drive Install

I just put a 91 VMAX final drive (had 17K miles on it) in my 90 VR Saturday. I left the nuts loose that bolt the drive to the drive shaft housing. When I put the axle in and tightened the nut, there was no gap. I tightened the 4 nuts and took the nut off the axle. The axle pulled out easy and slid back in with 2 fingers. I guess it varies from year to year whether a shim is needed. I filled it with Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil.

When I pulled the original unit off the drive shaft the spring, nut and washer flew out. It took me a few minutes to figure out what happened. The pinion shaft had broken at the edge of the nut. See attached picture.

I test rode it for about 2 miles on the access road. It seems quieter than the original.

Now it's supposed to rain all week so I won't get to ride it.

Wow, I bet that thing was noisy when you let off the throttle.

V-Max final drives are fun on a 1st gen, especially if you ride the mountains a lot. Interstate speeds of 70 mph will have you running at about 4,200 RPM's and hunting for 5th gear and finding out you are already in it. But, that 10% lower 1st gear is a lot of fun, but be careful as 8,000 RPM's can come up real quick, along with the front tire.

As far as needing a shim, it does not sound to me like your bikes does. That was the way mine was. I tightened the housing down and the axle freely moved in and out, so I did not use one and it seems to be working fine.

I have seen several MKII's with the broken pinion nut/shaft, but I have never, to my knowledge, seen an MKI with a broken pinion nut/shaft. I wonder if anyone else has?

RandyA

It was only noisy when I would let off the throttle, so I thought. Had a terrible whine. I rode it to work today as no rain. Man is it quiet. It has always had that whine as we bought it used with 27K miles and now up to 63K. At 65 MPH the RPM is right at 4K. We don't ride a lot on the interstates except to and from work and those have a speed limit of 60 or 65. We try to right the 2 lane highways-the ones you had to use to get cross country before the interstates were built as the scenery is much better. Just to many small towns if going any distance.

What are you doing with the broken parts?

I read an article once on how to repair that broken part to make it better than new. I would be curious to try it out to see if it works.

Here is the article

http://www.allvmax.com/technique/moteur-boite-pont/reparation-du-pignon-dattaque-du-couple-conique

Edited by Flyinfool

What are you doing with the broken parts?

I read an article once on how to repair that broken part to make it better than new. I would be curious to try it out to see if it works.

Here is the article

http://www.allvmax.com/technique/moteur-boite-pont/reparation-du-pignon-dattaque-du-couple-conique

Good thing I can understand pictures.:whistling:

My concern would be any damage from running unit broken and also resetting lash after you put it back together with a new crush washer if it takes one.

RandyA

They teach French up there behind the Cheddar Curtain?

Est-ce que tout le monde ne parle français?

Yes you would have to be sure there is no other damage before starting.

I do not know if it would need to have the lash redone if you put all of the same parts back in that came out?

It was only noisy when I would let off the throttle, so I thought. Had a terrible whine. I rode it to work today as no rain. Man is it quiet. It has always had that whine as we bought it used with 27K miles and now up to 63K. At 65 MPH the RPM is right at 4K. We don't ride a lot on the interstates except to and from work and those have a speed limit of 60 or 65. We try to right the 2 lane highways-the ones you had to use to get cross country before the interstates were built as the scenery is much better. Just to many small towns if going any distance.

At 80 mph that motor will sing a beautiful song. Nobody should be afraid to go with the Vmax final drive because of a fear of interstate speeds/rpm. I've gone through a full tank non stop at those speeds with no ill effects.:bluesbrother:

Est-ce que tout le monde ne parle français?

Yes you would have to be sure there is no other damage before starting.

I do not know if it would need to have the lash redone if you put all of the same parts back in that came out?

Is that northern spanglish Kevhead?