IGNORED

Bub Mufflers

Condor

Got the Bubs on Silver. They do wake ya up!! With everything that's been going on haven't got to try then on the road yet.

I bought the set I now have on the '99 from a board member who thought they were too loud, plus the tips were flaking. Turned out there wasn't a bit of packing in the baffles. Rebuilt/repacked them and they now have a very nice sound. Mellow burple at idle and a medium rumble when under load. No one has delegated me to the back of the pack yet.... :) Now if I could only locate a set of turndown tips for the set I just picked up from Juggler I'd be a happy camper....

I bought the set I now have on the '99 from a board member who thought they were too loud, plus the tips were flaking. Turned out there wasn't a bit of packing in the baffles. Rebuilt/repacked them and they now have a very nice sound. Mellow burple at idle and a medium rumble when under load. No one has delegated me to the back of the pack yet.... :) Now if I could only locate a set of turndown tips for the set I just picked up from Juggler I'd be a happy camper....

Does it hurt the bike if there isn't any packing in them? My bike had them on when I got it. So I'm not sure how old they are. My bikes a 2000 with 25000 miles on it so they could be that old.

Does it hurt the bike if there isn't any packing in them? My bike had them on when I got it. So I'm not sure how old they are. My bikes a 2000 with 25000 miles on it so they could be that old.

nope, won't hurt a thing, other than changing the sound to a bit louder... if ya like it..keep twistin it!:cool10:

The BUBS are pretty easy to repack, I have done two sets in the past 6 months or so.

Drill out two rivets, wiggle the caps off, pull the baffles, wrap the baffles and reinstall.

When I did the ones earlier this year both sets had been torn into before and the rivets had been replaced with screws (sort of) so I had to rework the thru holes and rethread the cones to acept proper screws, but nothing major.

A liitle elbow grease and some metal polish and the tips will look like brand new , get rid of flaking chrome and polish the aluminum underneath and they look good as new.

Yep, the original packing is probably gone. That's why when a few miles are put on them they'll start getting louder. The packing they use is spun glass, and the exhaust temps will slowly make the stuff brittle and break, slowly disappearing over time. I use ceramic packing and so far after 6,000 miles I can't notice any difference in the sound. The ceramic will stand a much higher temp before breaking down. As far as hurting the scoot...nope!!

I had a set of Bub's on my '04 when I bought it and had some dealings with them. They warranted one set of tips, and then the new set started peeling within 2000 miles. I really liked the sound of the Bub's, but hated the peeling so I punched out a set of H-D mufflers. I bought a used set of Roadhouse slip-ons for the '99 a couple years ago and have been really pleased with them. As far as tips, you can measure the o.d. of the tips where they slide in the muffler body and go from there, if I'm not mistaken there are tips from other manufacturers that will work. I think I remember that Rinehart had fishtail tips that would work on the Bub's, so they may have turnouts too. Let us know what you find. :080402gudl_prv:

I had a set of Bub's on my '04 when I bought it and had some dealings with them. They warranted one set of tips, and then the new set started peeling within 2000 miles. I really liked the sound of the Bub's, but hated the peeling so I punched out a set of H-D mufflers. I bought a used set of Roadhouse slip-ons for the '99 a couple years ago and have been really pleased with them. As far as tips, you can measure the o.d. of the tips where they slide in the muffler body and go from there, if I'm not mistaken there are tips from other manufacturers that will work. I think I remember that Rinehart had fishtail tips that would work on the Bub's, so they may have turnouts too. Let us know what you find. :080402gudl_prv:

I took the tips off my BUBs and wire brushed them on my shop grinder and painted them flat black with high temp heat paint. No more problems.

:farmer:

SOMEbody beat me to the punch (ouch!) on these, was thinkin' about my perty quiet 08.....

Oh well, another pair MAY come along sometime...

(feeling bad yet Condor???)

Oh Dan I'm so sorry.......:whistling: NOT!! Don't worry there'll be another set along any time now. There always is.... :)