IGNORED

Cruse control quit working

Nemo

Somehow the 10 amp fuse for the radio blew and I replaced it. Also the cruse control didn't work, so I figured that maybe it must also be on that same fuse. But, after replacing the fuse the cruse control still doesn't work.

Here's what happens. The Cruse switch is a rocker style and either direction that I push, the light will go on for just a few seconds and back off again, but doesn't stay on. It's been quite a while since I've used the cruse, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

All the help and suggestions will be appreciated before we leave on a trip, next Monday.

Thank you! Owen.

My 86 VR has a lot of feedback mechanisms that allow the cruise to engaged or not....clutch handle has to be totally out, brake handle and foot brake as well. When was the last time you used it? Has it ever functioned? I ask because if not you need to trouble shoot a lot of systems to get it back. Dave

Sorry to ask the dumb questions, but how fast are you going when you try to engage cruise control? are you talking about the Blue light that says the system is on? are you talking about the rocker switch under the tape player or the one on the right handle bar?

I have para cord "get back" whip on my clutch lever that whips all over the place while I am riding and it does not affect my cruise control at all. it is strange how some things mess with some peoples bike and it does not affect others.

Well for starters something is shutting it off but it may take a bit of investigating. I remember reading in the cruise section that there is a feedback mechanism that when you turn on the cruise switch it will Blink a # of times according to which function is out. I cant remember which light on the cruise set up it is . Its worth a check to start things off.Dave

OK, just checked again. While sitting in the garage and pressing the left side of the toggle switch, under the tape player, the blue light comes on and stays on. Now, on the road, at 65 MPH, it's almost impossible to concentrate on that blue light for more than seconds, but I'm sure it just goes out. So no matter what I do to the control on the right handle bar, nothing works. And, yes I do also have those hanging leather tassels on the bars. Thanks for the interest, guys! Owen.

I was wrong (don't tell the wife that I admitted that) left is on.

When you rock it left it returns to middle, does yours stay right when you turn it off? Just checking to see if the switch works.

If the switch works go drive 50mph some where, turn the switch on and rock the hand controls down, up, down. At first my cruise seems like it is not working; i slow down quite a bit, but then it speeds back up.

Like I said, it's been awhile because since the radio quit, I figured that something bad happened someplace, before I found the bad fuse.

You're right, push the left side and the toggle returns and stays in the center. Push the right side down and the toggle returns and stays down and off. I'll be riding again in the morning to give it another try.

It sounds like you just need to reset it. To do that. Shut it off with the switch to the off position by pushing the switch on the right side while the bike is running. Then turn it back on by pushing the switch on the left side. You should be good to go.

Another possibility is that the bushing in the pivot for the clutch lever is worn and it's allowing the lever to move back far enough to activate the cruise cancel switch. There's an easy way to test it - just turn on the cruise and push the clutch lever away from the handle bar with your fingers (Hold it there) and then activate the "set" switch. If the cruise goes on then let go of the clutch lever. If the cruise turns off, that means the bushing is worn and needs to be replaced. I know this because mine is doing it but I so seldom use the cruise that I haven't bothered to fix it yet.

Andy

Sailor..

The way its wired any time you have the key off and back on, the cruise has to be restarted again with its rocker switch.

It should return to center position after turning it on....is the cruise power light on everytime you turn on the key?

Today, the Cruse worked fine. But, I think I'm cracking up! Sitting in the garage, and pressing the left side, three lights come on, yellow, green and blue. After a few seconds, the green and yellow turn off and the blue stays on. This looks like a normal sequence.

But, here is what had puzzled me. When on the road, pushing the left side, only the green and yellow came on momentarily but no blue light. Now, since there was no blue light, I didn't know that it was actually still turned on. I had given it up as a lost cause.

So, today, I stopped in a parking lot and flipped the switch back and forth, on and off. Again, only the green and yellow flashed on. But, then I quickly looked real close, and saw that the green light said "SET." So, maybe that means to push the set button on the right handlebar. Whew! All that worry about nothing except for a failed "Blue" light to tell me that the Cruse was actually on. Works like a charm now. I'm a Happy Camper!

Thank You, Thank You, everyone for your interest and suggestions. I appreciate it all! You are the Best! And especially to Mike (Eusa1) for the phone call.

Owen.

Cruise works fine. Light is not always on unless I turn cruise on.. When I turn the bike off the cruise goes off and I have to re set it. If I push it to on it stays there and if I push it to off it also stays there and when I set it in the middle it stays there.