IGNORED

Weirdest problem I've seen with a venture

Was riding with my friend yesterday who has an 08 venture. We stopped for lunch for about an hour or so. After riding again about 1 mile my friend pulled over. The temp light and oil light were on. Bike is full of oil and water. Looked at the fan and it wasn't coming on. Here is the weird part. When the ignition switch was on you could turn the kill switch on and the bike would start without pressing the start button. Turn the kill switch off engine stops, turn the kill switch on the bike starts. If you leaned down toward the left side of engine you could hear a constant whine. We didn't want to continue riding home because we weren't sure about the whine. We wondered if maybe the starter wasn't switching off and was continuing to run. We left the bike at the police station, we were a 150 miles from home, and are going to get it today and trailer it home. Anyone have any ideas of what is going on. The worst thing for me was all the harleys that came by and seeing a yamaha broke down beside the road.

Yes, last year I had an almost identical problem. Turned out to be the starting circuit ignition relay had fallen off of the mount and was laying on the engine and the engine heat melted the relay cover causing a short. It's located under the seat where the false battery covers are just about in the middle. The whine you heard was most likely the starter motor! Mine acted like a car, turn the key on, the motor started automatically. Funny thing, as soon as the bike cooled down the problem went away until the bike warmed up again. Made for a pain in the a$$ troubleshooting the symptoms...

Oh Bob you are a wealth of knowledge. :rotf::rotf:

Is there anything you don't know? :buttkick:

Who would have thought to look for that? :yikes:

Great job Bob!!!!!!!!!

:missingtooth:

Bubber

The hardest problem Bubber was troubleshooting when the symptoms changed from cold to warm. By looking at the schematic I figured where a ground that was appearing when it shouldn't happened to be common to the relay. As soon as I went to the relay to investigate that's when I found the partially melted assembly laying on the engine. If I remember, about 3 months later someone else had the same problem with the same failure source, the relay falling off it's rubber mount.

I was lucky, the $100 part was changed under warranty...

Was riding with my friend yesterday who has an 08 venture. We stopped for lunch for about an hour or so. After riding again about 1 mile my friend pulled over. The temp light and oil light were on. Bike is full of oil and water. Looked at the fan and it wasn't coming on. Here is the weird part. When the ignition switch was on you could turn the kill switch on and the bike would start without pressing the start button. Turn the kill switch off engine stops, turn the kill switch on the bike starts. If you leaned down toward the left side of engine you could hear a constant whine. We didn't want to continue riding home because we weren't sure about the whine. We wondered if maybe the starter wasn't switching off and was continuing to run. We left the bike at the police station, we were a 150 miles from home, and are going to get it today and trailer it home. Anyone have any ideas of what is going on. The worst thing for me was all the harleys that came by and seeing a yamaha broke down beside the road.

Something like that has happened to me a couple times with my VMax.

All that caused my problem was the start button stuck when I pushed it in. Engine started. warning lights came on, and the whirring was there from the stuck starter turning.

Bopped on the button and it released. All was well after that.

Yes, last year I had an almost identical problem. Turned out to be the starting circuit ignition relay had fallen off of the mount and was laying on the engine and the engine heat melted the relay cover causing a short. It's located under the seat where the false battery covers are just about in the middle. The whine you heard was most likely the starter motor! Mine acted like a car, turn the key on, the motor started automatically. Funny thing, as soon as the bike cooled down the problem went away until the bike warmed up again. Made for a pain in the a$$ troubleshooting the symptoms...

Can you be more specific where to look for this relay on the 2nd Gen? since I had worn out fuel pump points at only 15,000 miles, I want to investigate any potential "weird" problems.

Thanks

VentureFar...

• 2 weeks later...

When I replaced the fuel filter - what a pain till I realized taking out the battery would have sped it up--- there was a "thing" rubber mounted on a slip down on it mount in front of the fuel filter. Is it that "thing"?---- like I said, help the helpless - no PUC not hopeless, helpless :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I replaced the fuel filter - what a pain till I realized taking out the battery would have sped it up--- there was a "thing" rubber mounted on a slip down on it mount in front of the fuel filter. Is it that "thing"?---- like I said, help the helpless - no PUC not hopeless, helpless :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As annoyingly difficult as the fuel filter is to change, it needs to be changed often.. and to do that, why not relocated it to a spot under the seat.. now removes any excuses for not changing it out each year.. (a clogged fuel filter caused a lot of problems on my bike and eventually led to the premature death of the fuel pump not long afterward..)

The "thing" you're refering to is the "Relay, side stand" Item #45 on the parts fiche at

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=3962876&category=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=2006&fveh=177741

I'm kinda familiar with that item since mine is toasted and waiting for a new one to arrive..

• 3 weeks later...
Something like that has happened to me a couple times with my VMax.

All that caused my problem was the start button stuck when I pushed it in. Engine started. warning lights came on, and the whirring was there from the stuck starter turning.

Bopped on the button and it released. All was well after that.

had the same thing happen on my max

I think the solenoid switch is under the seat. I think is has something to do with the starter, but I'm not sure. Someone pitch in and let us know.

the solenoid is a heavy duty switch that switches power from your battery to your starter motor.when you hit the starter switch what the starter switch does is activate that solenoid and allow full power to the starter

attachment.php?attachmentid=86190&stc=1&d=1407279495

attachment.php?attachmentid=86191&stc=1&d=1407279643

attachment.php?attachmentid=86192&stc=1&d=1407279488