IGNORED

Brake light

mechanic1

Make sure that the plunger within the front brake switch is free. Check for continuity of the front brake switch wires. Check that the front brake switch is in fact properly positioned with in the housing (should be pushed into housing, not partially backed out.)

Front brakes work as do the rear....light works when rear is applied....think I may have found the problem. looks like the switch is sticking...got it coming out more now that it was when applied but still may not be enough.

Thanks for the link to switch maintenance

Yea that is a bit tricky ...but as mentioned in the previous reply a small blade screwdriver works well to depress the switch's notched locking mechanism. I think I spent an evening figuring that out how to get it out and its elusive on 1st glance....be gentle...if you can get by only lubricating the plunger and NOT taking the switch apart your better off....it's not complicated but it doesn't take much to screw it up....I actually had to eventually buy another brake handle assembly just for the Brake switch wiring as mine was beyond repairing....

Yup! Take the front lower scoop off, 2 screws, and you can get to it fairly easy. You will also have to take the metal cover off of the lower handlebar assembly to remove the harness if necessary...

Hey Storm Raven does all this sound familiar??

Oh, are these switchs still available for 1st gens or is it an ebay thing now days?

No longer available from Yamaha. But unless there is a catastrophic failure of the switch (melted plastic) the switch can be rejuvenated. See Dingy's write-up. Also, depending on Venture model, the inner workings of the clutch lever activated switch may be used to repair a defective brake switch.

Ok....sanity check please...lol....from looking at the wiring diagram...looks like the switch connects the brown and yellow wire when bakes are applied and switch is in the "free" position correct? ....so with the switch out of the mount and free should be making that contact and completing the circuit for the brake light, so I need to check across those to wires in the connector for continuity and also....if I bridge thar connection on the other side of the connector and turn the ingnition switch on the brake light should come on right?

Ok...switch had kind of got hot at some point and little melted on one side but I got it all fixed up now and is working good....Dingy's info was most helpful as was all that chimed in for me...thanks guys. Kind of wondering now what made it get hot and when did it do it...lol

If the switch was dirty at some point the dirt can cause resistance which will make the switch get hot. A bulb can also burn our where the broken filament lands across the internal wires of the bulb causing a partial short and higher current draw for a short time. If nothing else shows any heat damage in the brake light circuit it most likely was dirty contacts in the switch.