IGNORED

Trouble starting my RSV 07

I have got the fairing split currently so I can OHM out the start button. When Eddie dropped the bike off he said as he was getting ready to bring it to me it wouldnt start. Go figure. but he flipped the ignition switch a couple times and still no start then kept pushing the thumb button and it fired up.

So I have connector pulled apart to ohm it out. It shows continuity but not every time. I can press button and say 3 out of 5 time it goes straight 000. The others it may go .9 or 1.2 then go to 000. If holding the button it has went 000 then worked its way back to say .5 or more.

sitting in the garage before I touched anything turned switch on and lights and all the goodies, hit button........ nothing. thumb it once or twice fires off.

Yeah, I'm starting to have the same symptoms with my '07, but I think it's the kill switch. Rode it all over The Dalles in Oregon without a problem. So I took it for a ride Sunday morning since I got back, and it acted goofy. I never could remember which way to set the kill switch, but when it doesn't turn over I get real confused. I finally got it fired with the right happy combination and took off. I got up to the Blvd stop and bumped the kill just a tad and the bike died and wouldn't start. Flipped the kill on and off a few times and it finally turned over. The rest of the ride went OK, and any restarts were fine. So I'm going to spray the heck out of the inside of the control housing with contact cleaner and keep an eye on it. Or?? I've never had one go bad, but the ignition switch may be thinking about going bad. I did turn the key on and off when it quit on me Sunday AM. So maybe??

Where the big wires connect to the battery and the starter. Manual says to connect power to the top left (as your looking at mounted relay) and ground to the top right. then it energizes the relay. When first energized (closed) its reads OK. But as you leave it connected the OHM start to climb. I have not checked my functioning RSV yet. The relay also gets pretty warm as it stays engaged.

• 3 months later...

GRRRRR Its BACK. Got an e-mail from Retiredgolfer and he said it's back to old tricks again. So this is what maybe 3 months. I never did get a repeat no start once I had it here at the house and started OHM wires, and clean connections.

If I understand right, the side stand switch makes no difference as long as you are in neutral. And of course thats what is being indicated, so if green light on dash should be good. Kind of points to the SCC thingy ma-jig.

For intermittent electrical problems I often wire up some LEDs to various points in the suspected circuit. Depending on what the circuit is supposed to be doing, some LEDs will always be on some will always be off. Group all of the on's together and group all of the offs together, this way it is real easy for the eye to pick up even a flicker.

With the LEDs it is easy to see in real time exactly where the problem is.

There must be a problem with the 07's. My friend has an 07 and I posted about his problem. Bike wouldn't start, dealer put new selenoid on, then radio wouldn't work. Dealer replaced radio, $1,400. Bike worked fine for a few days and now it won't start unless you disconnect the radio. Dealer has had bike for 2 weeks. The heat light and temp light come on when it won't start.

There must be a problem with the 07's. My friend has an 07 and I posted about his problem. Bike wouldn't start, dealer put new selenoid on, then radio wouldn't work. Dealer replaced radio, $1,400. Bike worked fine for a few days and now it won't start unless you disconnect the radio. Dealer has had bike for 2 weeks. The heat light and temp light come on when it won't start.

Now I really afraid to say this... karma and all... but my '07 runs fine....

I think you need to take a silver stake and....... :whistling:

So now it won't start even with the radio unplugged or they are trying to figure out how the radio is preventing starting.