IGNORED

bike runs then bike dies cools runs again then dies

was riding my bike it was raining that day but while riding the bike shut down I called my wife and told her so while im sitting there im trying to start it would crank and run for 1 min.then shut down .well after sitting for 5 hours and a dead battery got trailered to my bro's put in garage.come back next morn. bike started rode it home got about 1/2 mile from my garage bike dies starts flashing 9 times indicating emergency switch "right".so does that mean when it gets hot the switch cuts out or am I reading it wrong.please help this is my life line too and from work "my baby" thanks and please:mytruck::(

two or three things to check first,

do you hear any type of vacuum or air rushing noise when removing gas cap

at ANY time?

do you hear the clicking from the fuel pump?

was your fuel level above below half tank at the time?:detective:

Coil or ignitor. When it heats up, things deflect/grow and a contact is lost. It also can open a crack and water can get in (riding in the rain).

To confirm, get the bike warm and start spraying a water bottle (like a Windex bottle with water in it) around the coils and ignitor.

ScooterBob had this problem a few years ago. If I run into him, I will ask.

RR

I was going to say a coil. Had that problem years ago on a cage. It would run until it got a couple hours on it. Then miss and sputter and would not pull a load, like leaving a stop light. Then would just conk out. Possibly wires. You might be able to OHM out the coils.

The flashing code is telling you the Emergency Stop switch (aka tipover switch)

is disconnected....you need a good ground through the switch for ignition to operate.

I think the switch is located by removing fuel tank and the plastic cover on riders right side of steering neck.

Should be a 2 wire switch...black/white and a black.

ok if it was the coils I got four and they all would have to be bad at the same time and if just one went bad it would run poorly .but the bike runs great "when its running".so now im really confused lol .But im leaning tword the key swith or the red on off switch .but it could be a loose wire somewere

:fingers-crossed-emo

Sure sounds like a fouled fuel filter...... Had a similar problem a few years back. Bike would run fine for a few minutes and then start missing and shut down. Replaced the fuel filter and the issue went away immediately.

:15_8_211[1]:

My guess was going to be fuel filter as well, or possibly contaminated gas, especially when you mentioned rain. Put some dry gas in your tank along with changing your filter. A product we use around here called "Seafoam" will work quite well for that purpose...

The flashing code is telling you the Emergency Stop switch (aka tipover switch)

is disconnected....you need a good ground through the switch for ignition to operate.

I think the switch is located by removing fuel tank and the plastic cover on riders right side of steering neck.

Should be a 2 wire switch...black/white and a black.

Good diagnosis.

Check this. Easy and quick.

RR

Good diagnosis.

Check this. Easy and quick.

RR

if the sensor was un plugged the bike wouldn't run at all correct but like I said bike runs till it gets warm and shuts down.someone told me the battery might be bad after all the bike is a 99 and it still has the factory battery in it.

Even though Yamaha denotes its disconnected it means the igniter cannot ground through it....and most interlocks if they are partially failing can affect the ignition.

There is a reason that engine light is blinking the code....could be bad connection on the black/white at the igniter connector....or at the tipover or the switch itself.

well there were a couple of things wrong the battery was bad and the trailer light pack that I had on my bike was grounding out I took it off and bike ran 100% better not sluggish .so im sending it back to get a new one I rode down to Atlanta today the longer I rode the better it sounded so my guess is this whole time the battery and trailer pack was bad causing the bike to be starving for power and burning fuel but all is well now:stickinouttounge: