IGNORED

First Ride on my new to me 89VR

BlueSky

I got my new to me 89VR registered last week but was so busy I didn't get a chance to ride it until today. I'm really impressed with how easy it is to handle. It seems very comfortable. Might need some more foot pegs so I can stretch out my legs a little, especially my right leg. I really like it!!! I love the sound of that V4! I think it is just as easy to handle as the 2006 Wing I test rode a few years ago.

I've got to check the choke and adjust the pilot screws though. It's running really rich. It starts instantly without choke in 70 degree weather. It also turns over very slowly especially when warm (but always starts). I think a new battery is in order.

Even with a new battery these turn over slow when warm.

The new battery will help some, only IF it really needs a new battery. Take the battery in to have it load tested.

Replacing the factory wires to the starter with 4 AWG welding wire will help some.

Doing the ground mod to the starter will help some.

Replacing the starter with a newer 4 brush starter will help a lot.

Awesome, glad to hear it.. I'm literally days away from putting mine fully back together, insuring it, registering it and getting it inspected (VA requirement). Although yesterday I noticed my battery charging volts went to 17+, so a new R/R and Stator are enroute.. I literally have a list of tomorrows projects next to me..

Post some pics of your ride and tell us what you had to do to it, mileage etc..

If you are feeling daring and have the time, switch out your starter to a second gen model.You will be impressed how good the starts are even when hot..:backinmyday:

Is the 2nd gen starter a bolt in? Or does is have to be modified in some way? Do all Gen 1s have the 2 brush starter? Thanks!

Edited by BlueSky