IGNORED

Non Venture Tech Question --85 Virago 750 won't start --

stickhandle2

Hi Folks,

I decided today was the day I was going to pull the carbs on the 85 750 Virago our daughter rides, I had new carb boots for it as the old ones were cracking, and I also figured while the carbs were off I would give them a cleaning. Main reason for doing all this is the bike has been a little hard to start at times and figured with the weather being nice, today was as good a day as any.

Long story not so short, I replaced the boots and cleaned the carbs and after re-installing them, the bike won't start, at least before it would always seem to want to start, but not now. I pulled the plugs and there is spark on both cylinders, there is fuel in the bowls, but when trying to start the bike it seems like it is starving for fuel.

I have even pulled the carbs a second time to see if there was anything that I could see where I messed up but nothing at least to my untrained eyes.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

Edited by stickhandle2
spelling mistake

Maybe best describe what exactly you did when you cleaned the crabs, did you take them apart, put in new gaskets and\or O-rings, did you clean and blow out the jets, or did you just clean them without taking them apart.

Sorry for the questions, but cleaning carbs means many different things to many different people, and one method will give much different results than the other.

Good point, the carbs were taken apart, diaphragm was removed, then the bowls were removed along with the floats, needle valve, main jet, main nozzle. I then cleaned these with carb cleaner by spraying them and all the holes in the carb, the loose valves and jets were also soaked in varsol. I then blew compressed air through the carb to further clean and also dry off all the parts.

With there being 2 carbs I did one at a time so I wouldn't get any parts mixed up and had the manual with me in case I ran into a problem.

Try putting a bit of gas into the throat of each carb and see if it will fire, or spray some carb cleaner down the throat while you're turning it over. If it fires then it's fuel related, if it still won't fire, re-check the ignition.

also have a virago my wife rides.

it was getting really hard to start, looked like spark was okay.

took carbs off cleaned put back on same problem.

started with two new plugs, started first touch and runs like a charm again

maybe worth a try

cheers, Scott

Not to be a SA, but did you check the kill switch? Flip it a couple of times as they have a tendency no stick so that even though the rocker switch looks like it is off, inside my be still grounding.

Funny you say that, yes I did flipped it back and forth a few times

maybe worth a try

cheers, Scott /

Scott

Have also thought about doing that, earlier in the season when it was running like a dog, changed plugs and oil, it ran like a champ until a few days ago, when i decided it was time for a cleaning and swap out the old boots.

Right now trying everything

Mike

maybe worth a try

cheers, Scott

Well I didn't get new plugs but went and put an old set back in the bike....**&%$$$ thing started right up, let it run for a bit. Gonna put it back together and see what happens.....I give up.

Mike.

Mike....

long shot but even though its in neutral....try it with kickstand up in case something on the interlock circuit is trying to kill ignition.

Hi Neil,

I was thinking the same thing and actually did do that, but nothing.......then I grabbed the old set of plugs and of course it started.

My brother called it a "what the ......" moment, I still don't really have a clue what the heck is going on.

We will see how things are once everything is back on and hooked up.

Mike