IGNORED

Thoughts on retrieving a lost valve shim

In a previous thread, I mentioned launching a valve shim from #3 inside exhaust bucket. My fear is that it made its way down the void under the cam gear since I can't find it anywhere else.

Is it possible that the shim made its way to the bottom of the engine where I could retrieve it by dropping bottom engine cover?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If it really dropped in there it probably made it clear to the bottom. I'd turn the engine over by hand a few times to make sure it wasn't hung up in something where it could do damage.

If it made it to the bottom it could probably lie there forever without causing any issues.

Some motorcycles have open spaces behind the clutch cover where you can get into the oil pan with a magnet. It's been awhile since I was into a Venture so I'm not sure if there is room to fish for a shim or not. Someone who has recently been into the clutch/shift segment might be able to give some input.

Not sure what king of magnet you may be using but I got one off the Matco Tool truck that is mounted on a flexible wire with handle and it will go almost any where.

kickshot

Thanks - if I find it is in the engine I will keep that in mind.

In a previous thread, I mentioned launching a valve shim from #3 inside exhaust bucket. My fear is that it made its way down the void under the cam gear since I can't find it anywhere else.

Is it possible that the shim made its way to the bottom of the engine where I could retrieve it by dropping bottom engine cover?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks folks for the help. I found it down by the radiator held vertically by its oil film - no way to see it without bore scope. What a relief!! Ready to put it back together and ride - as soon as the rain stops. Thanks again!