IGNORED

Front Tire Options - again!

Hi folks,

I am starting a new thread to see if there is any newer info (experiences) as most of the past threads on this topic date back a few years.

In my last thread, I was seeking advice on replacement tires and I have narrowed it down to the Michelin Commander II's. In order to have a matched set of Commanders, I will need in the following sizes (Bias Ply):

front - non stock (130/90-16) - it is not available in stock (150/80-16) size.

back - stock (150/90-15)

In the past threads some have mentionned having gone to the smaller size in the front and finding the handling to be too light and as a result have moved back to stock.

Now that the Commander II has been out for more than a couple of years, I would be interested in finding out if others are using the above tire and size's and what your experience has been in using them.

Also found this tire size comparator site that shows a graphic representation and comparison of different sizes:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Again, thanks in advance for your help!

:bowdown::bowdown::canada:

while others

My first set of tires I replaced on my 06 Venture was with the Commander tire. It handled great but the front end would wobble if you let go of the handlebars at speed. I tried two sets on the front before I abandoned that tire. Now, I am wondering if the II is any better. I would appreciate any feedback from those that have tried them on the Venture.

When I got my 09 RSV about 6 months ago, it had front end shake and really spooky shakes when cornering slowly or letting go of the bars. I decided to go about fixing it through process of elimination.

Step 1: Have front tire balanced. Helped a little.

Step 2: Tighten up the forks/steering head. Helped more than a little, but the problem was still there.

Step 3: Junk the worthless Avon Venom tires (still plenty of tread left) and replace both with Michelin Commander II's. Amazing results! No more head shake, no more problem!

I'm also a sportbike owner, so I like the smaller tire on front. Better control, better feedback, better confidence all around. And I have always used Michelin tires on my other bikes so it's my brand of choice anyway.

Hi folks,

I am starting a new thread to see if there is any newer info (experiences) as most of the past threads on this topic date back a few years.

In my last thread, I was seeking advice on replacement tires and I have narrowed it down to the Michelin Commander II's. In order to have a matched set of Commanders, I will need in the following sizes (Bias Ply):

front - non stock (130/90-16) - it is not available in stock (150/80-16) size.

back - stock (150/90-15)

In the past threads some have mentionned having gone to the smaller size in the front and finding the handling to be too light and as a result have moved back to stock.

Now that the Commander II has been out for more than a couple of years, I would be interested in finding out if others are using the above tire and size's and what your experience has been in using them.

Also found this tire size comparator site that shows a graphic representation and comparison of different sizes:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Again, thanks in advance for your help!

:bowdown::bowdown::canada:

while others

Bert, I got a 05 RSMV last fall, the PO had run the tires low on pressure, I replace both with the Commander 11's. I really like the way it handles. I have had a Yamaha Warrior for 11 years that handles fantastic. The stock front tire on the Venture is just too big for handling, I have not had a chance to get up to the Black Hills to test it out in the twisties yet, but it does handle better on the flat ground. Hope this helps a little. :080402gudl_prv:

Gramps :backinmyday:

bert , i have commander 2s on mine , and the 130 front tire for the same reason oem not available , i love them , bike handles great and tread wear has been great :) is a little lighter at 140 160 kmh on the hiways especially if its windy, but i just slow down , I prefer the better handing in town and the twistys , :mustache:

I will be ordering them today. Found them online for about $360 for the set including taxes and shipping. Will call dealer to see what his price would be.:mo money:

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PROVIDED ADVICE IN THIS AND MY PREVIOUS THREAD, you where few but all positive and helpful.:thumbsup:

:canada:

• 1 month later...

Got the Commander IIs installed this morning. Rode about 40miles after to try them out and boy is it an improvement. When I got the bike I removed the lowering kit and saw a major improvement in riding. With these new tires it is almost another similar improvement in handling. Thanks again to all who piped in and shared their experiences with them. :clap2:

On another note the tech who worked on the bike seemed a bit off this morning. :shock3: Started by installing the front backwards and having to do it all again. Then he did not know how to remove the back wheel and had to get help from another tech. Was also getting the carbs sync done and he had to go back to the computer to get instructions as he was having trouble. I did not make a fuss and helped out here and there an he took 45min off the labour bill. To his credit he noticed that one of the trunk bolt was missing he replaced it. He also changed the rear drive lube as it was pretty dark.

So in the end all are happy.:thumbsup:

Posted here in another thread my friend owns a bike repair shop and customers rave about the commanders.

To the front end vibration. If when the bike is on a jack front wheel off the ground....the handlebars placed at center. If they flop wither way your bearings need tightened. You can do this thorough the hole with a punch while on the jack.

However much I hate Avon's too. Once you have a loose steering head bearing to the shake level, it will wear the tire and even if you fix the tightness of the bearing the wear of the tire will still let it shake. So new tire in order.

Also Like to add, that instead of weight balancing I use media balancing. Equal or Dyna beads, this keeps the tires in balance through out the life even when it picks up a stone, snow or changes balance for some other reason like uneven wear. I hear ride on also works and provides some flat protection.

When you mount tires yourself dyna beads is real friendly option and I even re use the beads using a vacuum cleaner and a filter positioned in the hose.

Also note that when a front tire is not available. Just order a rear. I've run a rear up front for over 70k miles. About half of that I rotate it for more even wear running it backwards and forwards. You can expect a LOT more mikes for your money with a rear tire on the front. Choose a sticky tire as the front provides most the traction. I've used an MT 66 and a Metzler. Good luck on both but the MT 66's would show cracking before they wear out. So far the Metz is good.

When I put a slightly less wide tire on. The handling improved greatly for me. I suppose when I go to the dark side on this bike a stock size might work better.

Edited by IronMike

Got the Commander IIs installed this morning. Rode about 40miles after to try them out and boy is it an improvement. When I got the bike I removed the lowering kit and saw a major improvement in riding. With these new tires it is almost another similar improvement in handling. Thanks again to all who piped in and shared their experiences with them. :clap2:

On another note the tech who worked on the bike seemed a bit off this morning. :shock3: Started by installing the front backwards and having to do it all again. Then he did not know how to remove the back wheel and had to get help from another tech. Was also getting the carbs sync done and he had to go back to the computer to get instructions as he was having trouble. I did not make a fuss and helped out here and there an he took 45min off the labour bill. To his credit he noticed that one of the trunk bolt was missing he replaced it. He also changed the rear drive lube as it was pretty dark.

So in the end all are happy.:thumbsup:

Just bought my commands this week and had them installed today. $279.00 shipped to my door. bikebandit.com

put 140 miles on Sunday and have no complaints. cracks, tar in grooves, rain grooves not a problem, loving these new tires. even had it up to 87 mph in 15 mile cross winds and held the course without getting blown all over. smaller tire in front no problems and made turning in parking lots better.

After having the Commander II's installed last week and running them all week I figured they were scuffed enough to go and do some twisties tonight. WELL THESE ARE AWSOME. Bike is now very responsive in curves and I no longer have any snaking on grooves. I highly recommend to any 2nd genner to try these with the smaller tire up front. BRAVO MICHELLIN for developping these.

:clap2::thumbsup::clap2: