IGNORED

Front fork...what the hell

'83 xzv1200 std. After removing the forks and disassembling, I found no washers (2-wave & 1-flat) or spindle on the right tube damper. How can this be??? and that was the leaky tube. Also it appears the spindle is now obsolete. Can't wait to break the left side apart....damn dealerships. Any ideas? Or is it time for a used fork tube? Your thoughts I welcome!

Thanks

john

Thanks guys....maybe this fork doesn't use spindles??? The left side had no spindle either. Have you ever seen forks without spindles?

The left side looked like the right but it had all the washers unlike the right side. Since I've never viewed the inside of these tubes I've attached a pic. The damper is tapered so possibly no spindle is required on this application. I'm sure someone will know or has seen an application like this one previously.

Gary....I may hit you up for a couple spindles once determined they're definitely required. Let me know your thoughts and how much to send you. The flat and wave washers are available so no worry there.

Thanks

john

Thanks Gary.....your cutaway of a fork tube on the inside looks nothing like mine. Yours are flat on the bottom to accept the tapered spindle where I'm guessing the raised portion on mine is designed to accept just the tapered damper. I've never seen a spindle but would think its' diameter would exceed the diameter of the raised portion at the bottom of my tubes.

Are you thinking my tubes require a spindle?

Thanks Gary.....your cutaway of a fork tube on the inside looks nothing like mine. Yours are flat on the bottom to accept the tapered spindle where I'm guessing the raised portion on mine is designed to accept just the tapered damper. I've never seen a spindle but would think its' diameter would exceed the diameter of the raised portion at the bottom of my tubes.

Are you thinking my tubes require a spindle?

I have not seen a Venture without them. I don't have vast experience with them, maybe 8 sets I have seen.

MiCarl, Squidley or Skydoc_17 may have more info. You might try PM'ing them

Gary

Here is a picture of a cutaway fork tube.

Cut part is lower fork tube.

Spindle is brighter aluminum piece to right, going through spindle is Cylinder Comp., Front Fork. This is parts fiche description.

1st picture is from 83-85 set of forks.

2nd~4th pictures are from a 90 (I think) set of forks. Note the Plate,Seat in bottom of tubes.

Last picture is side by side comparison of early & late fork tube bottoms.

Measure the distance between the brake mount holes on the forks tubes. If they are not 100mm (3.937"), they are 83-85 vintage. 83-85 holes are 80mm spacing, I think. If they are 100mm and the anti dives mount to the front, they are 86 or 87. If they are 100mm and the anti dives mount to the side, they are 88-93.

Just because bike is titled an 83 doesn't mean parts haven't been swapped in 31 years.

Gary