IGNORED

Spring startup problems

Thought I was going to get my first ride in today, didn't happen :crying:

I uncovered the bike, checked tire pressure then went to fire her up, it started right away, I turned my back for a second and when I looked back there was a BIG puddle of gas on the floor :doh: fuel flowing out of the left front lower cowling :think: look a little closer and it's coming from the overflow hose. Nearest I can figure is a stuck float, left rear carb I think. I pulled the seat, tank, air boxes and followed the tube to the left bank of carbs. I tapped on both carbs and thought I had it but nope, turned the key on and another puddle. So, I put the overflow tube into a coke bottle to catch the gas and ran the carbs dry, then put a funnel on the gas line and filled it with seafoam, turned key on and filled carbs with seafoam, the bike wouldn't start on seafoam so I misted the carbs with gas to get the seafoam into passages.

Anything I'm missing? Gonna let it sit till tomorrow. It was stored all winter with seafoam in the gas and every other week I turned the key on to keep the carbs full.

I really dont want to have to pull the carb rack if I can help it.

When I put up for the winter I put the sea foam in ride about mile turn the gas off and let it idle til out of gas, plug in the batt tender. when I start in the spring turn the gas on, open the gas cap turn the key hear the fuel pump work then hit the start button and it starts right up with no problem. I was told it you don't open the gas cap it can build pressure inside the tank then it will blow gas through the carbs when starting, whether that's true or not I know but my bike runs fine.

I was told it you don't open the gas cap it can build pressure inside the tank then it will blow gas through the carbs when starting, whether that's true or not I know but my bike runs fine.

The tank is vented, it will not build pressure unless the tube is blocked,

Sorry to hear this Jay! Hopefully SeaFoam will loosen things up.

I've got my fingers crossed that it does. With a little luck they'll fill all the jury slots early and let me out of here before lunch and I'll be able to work on it today.

Well I think the seafoam soak did the job. Came home today and drained the carbs, flushed with gas then filled them up. Ran it thru 3 heat cycles with no problem. Put in new plugs and am now washing the K-&-N's , I'll put it all back together tomorrow and hope for the best.

Next up is waking the trike from it's almost 6 month nap. :cool10:

With a carb overflowing like that could fuel have gotten into the cylinder, past the rings and into the crankcase?

That's always a possibility, one that will be looked at. I think most of the gas came out the overflow hose though, because I had the air boxes off and looked down the carb while it was overflowing and there was barely a dribble of gas coming from the needle. The idle circuit was spitting a little gas too. The plugs were fouled pretty good from turning it over with the straight seafoam in the carbs.