IGNORED

M/C GPS Recommendations

Yeah THAT.. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 as well and really like it.. If you want XM radio as well then the 665 will do the trick.

These are designed specifically for Motorcycles. They are bright enough to read in direct sunlight as well as vibration resistant and waterproof. Mine came with both a motorcycle cradle and a car cradle. It is smart enough to know which cradle it is in so it's like having two units. I can set up and personalize it for each place.

+1 on the Garmin 660. If you can find a FACTORY reburb at decent discount, that sometimes can be a way to save some. But I would steer clear if not a factory refurb.

I know a lot of folks who use the Garmin Nuvi's which have many of the same features as the ZUMO line. But... they are not waterproof and they usually have to throw them in the trunk or put a gadget condom on it when it rains. I would rather just keep rolling without worrying about all that.

I like that I can load all my MP3 files on the 660 and play it through my AUX along with the turn by turn when I choose to listen to that. I guess you can also do your phone through these, but I already had a Kennedy Cellset installed so I still use that for the phone.

If you can afford the motorcycle purpose built units, they are the way to go. Unfortunately regular car units seem to be loosing good features like, loadable custom routes. MP3 player, blue-tooth aux output and inputs. I have been using a Garmin 765T. Its an older unit and I picked it up refurb off e-bay for around $60-70. I can create a custom route on my PC, load it into the GPS. As far as I know the newer 4 digit Garmins you cant do this. Also mine has an Aux output so you can connect to the bike radio. It also has a GPS built into it. Yes if your going to ride into a rain storm its best to cover it up. I have run thru showers before, you know the ones that pop up and you dont know where they came from. I have run thru them and it has got a few drops on it and still is fine. Truth is behind the windscreen on the handlebars it takes a pretty good soaking before it gets wet. check this place out. These folks are very knowledgeable and can help out if you have questions. Also the Garmin site. Look under "discontinued" and maybe you can find something with the features you like. Look in the current models, but I doubt you will find anything that has Aux out and be programmable.

Garmin is the only GPS manufacturer to make a motorcycle rated GPS, and only the Zumo. They have to be both waterproof and shock/vibration resistant. Any other brand or lesser model Garmin will eventually go bad and need replacing.

Yes, I know people, you can always put any GPS in a waterproof case but they still have to be vibration and shock proof...

but they still have to be vibration and shock proof...

It's not like we ride the Great American Blender...

I also run a Nuvi 765t. Is has gone through 3 bikes, multiple downpours, a 65mph slide, and over 15,000 miles. I have had to replace a $10 powered cradle and 1 fuse in the power cable. On my old HD Road King I had a windshield mounted radio and a custom ram ball mount right in front of me. On the Kawasaki Concours a ram base on the left glove box/inner fairing.

On the RS Venture I have a handlebar mounted Ram ball and 3" arm. This puts it just left of the tape deck.