IGNORED

Heated grip install

Just finished installing the Avon heated grips yesterday. It is very straight forward and Avon has very detailed instructions on installing the grips and wiring them up. You have to drill 2 holes in your handlebars, one where your controller is going to be (it will fit clamp on clutch or brake side, they also supply a backing clamp for the controller if you don't want to mate it up with the brake or clutch clamp) and one hole between risers facing fairing for the controller wires to exit the bars.

Each grip has a red and black wire, controller has a black, white and yellow wire. the grip wires are external (leave slack for throttle to turn), I just run them with the cable bundles and around the back of the triple tree and run the controller wires around the back of the triple tree. I took my gas tank off to make connections under the tank.

-Tie the 2 black wires from the grips to the yellow wire from the controller.

-Run the black wire from the controller to a ground. I run it to the ground that is under the right side neck cover. You will need to splice in a piece to reach.

-Tie the 2 red from the grips to the white wire from the controller and tie these all to wherever you choose to get your 12 volt positive from. I ran mine to a switch I have mounted where my schrader valve to add air to my rear shock used to be which gets power from my sub fuse panel located behind my battery.

Everything you will need (except if you want a on/off switch which isn't really necessary) including wire splicers/connectors, extra wire etc. etc. is included with the kit. I didn't use the wire connectors because I always solder all my accessory connections.

Hope this helps.:080402gudl_prv:

I will watch this thread closely.

VentureFar...

Me too! I haven't seen the Avon brand Hester grips, where do you get them? I did install a SETI bought from Aerostitch Rider Warehouse on my KLR650 and believe me, heated grips are awesome and a must have item for serious riders.

Sorry, I never took any pictures while doing the install, I just get in the zone and forget to take any pictures.

As for the heat, I have not ridden it yet due to mother nature throwing her last cold at us but I did run them and they get plenty hot. Also there are 4 heat settings, the controller seems to work excellent.

I installed the set from super chrome. They are a little thicker than the stock grubs which I like. They come witha variable heat controller. I expected them to be warmer than they are. I leave the controller on high. Someone told me to fill the inside of the bars with spray foam. Going to try this if the snow ever melts

OK, here is another question, since I'm not real adventurous with wiring, where is the ground that you used and where would be a good place to tap into for switched power ? I was just going to go direct to the battery to a 7.5 fused Battery Tender connector that is already there. That will be fine for me as I will be able to disconnect when I use the Tender

The ground that I attached to is under the right side plastic neck cover, gas tank has to be off to access the ground, I only chose that location because I had everything off and just saw it there. An option for switched power would be the white accessory plug that is in the battery compartment under the seat.

I know what you're saying. I just bought this bike so I went through everything, I had an advantage because I had owned a '06 Black Cherry RSV that I put 100,000 miles on it so I know how to work on them. Just for info this is what I did:

-pulled final drive, changed pinion bearing as previous owner said he thought it was noisy. I believed him as he is a mechanic and a close friend but job didn't need to be done.

- pulled swingarm and serviced pivot bearings and added grease nipples.

-serviced rear shock transfer mech. needle bearings

-replaced rear shock with Hagon HD shock

-reinstalled final drive, lubed splines, lubed drive fingers in wheel

-tore front apart to check/service steering head bearings. Plugged hole in back of neck tube and added grease zerk.

-dismantled forks, changed oil to 10wt Amsoil Shock Therapy

-raised forks into triple tree 1" (rear has 1 1/2" lowering kit already)

-replaced bars with Baron Star Bar including 1 1/2" riser extensions

-replaced throttle cables, front brake line and clutch line, used Tour Deluxe lines as they are 2-3" longer than Venture cables/lines.

-flushed/bled all hydraulic systems

-installed heated Avon grips

-cleaned/applied dielectric grease to ALL electrical connections on bike and grounds.

-installed ignition contact bypass relay.

-set air fuel mixture on all 4 carbs by ear (need to get my morgan colortune back from the guy who borrowed it!)

-synchronized carbs

-changed engine oil.

I went through the bike from top to bottom but found absolutely nothing wrong, the bike only has 24,000 miles on it and the PO was extremely meticulous. I just wanted piece of mind that I could rack up some serious miles this summer and next, and the year after.............

That's a ton of stuff. I picked the bike up last summer and it had less than 6k on it and it's a 2000 so from all that have checked out on it , the bike is still new. I had the Star bar on my Vstar and loved it, how is it on this ? Seems as tho the bars would be outside the fairing and exposed to wind, which for me is not great, that's why I put the grips on as my hands get cold in 60* weather. Next is Vmax rear and Dyna, which I had ordered on Ebay but vendor had no stock but was still taking payment. On to another source for that now

Guest tx2sturgis

Ace, I nominate you for a future maintenance day....

If you werent 1300 miles away I'd ride up and buy you a beer!

:happy34:

BTW...looks like you're not far from where they filmed Corner Gas. I enjoyed that show, and I normally dont care much for sitcoms...

Sorry about the thread hijack...:doh:

Ace, I nominate you for a future maintenance day....

If you werent 1300 miles away I'd ride up and buy you a beer!

:happy34:

BTW...looks like you're not far from where they filmed Corner Gas. I enjoyed that show, and I normally dont care much for sitcoms...

Sorry about the thread hijack...:doh:

1300 miles is nothing..........maybe I'll ride the 1300 miles.

Yea, I live about an hour from where they filmed that show.