IGNORED

if you watched Cosmos 30+ years ago

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Neil deGrasse Tyson is a bit less inspiring than Carl Sagan, but the special effects almost make up for it in this Cosmos series remake...just getting started on FOX.

You can see the influence of Brannon Braga on this production if you watched any of the more recent Star Trek franchises.

I still have my boxed set of Cosmos VHS tapes. Not even sure whether they are still playable...

:think:

http://www.fox.com/watch/183733315515

Yes I was disappointed. Having been a fan of the original with Carl Sagan I was expecting an educational and exciting experience. It seems all this program wants to do is impress us with how grand everything is. Ok I got that in the first five minutes. I am still hopeful though. So I will give it another week.

Mike

Yes I was disappointed. Having been a fan of the original with Carl Sagan I was expecting an educational and exciting experience. It seems all this program wants to do is impress us with how grand everything is. Ok I got that in the first five minutes. I am still hopeful though. So I will give it another week.

Mike

Pretty much my thoughts too. Lots of fancy graphics. All sizzle, no steak.

In fairness though, it's an introduction. Hopefully get down to being more educational.

Guest tx2sturgis
Didn't care for it much, a lot of unproven ideas being thrown around to me.

Lol....yeah. That whole thing about the earth being round...and not the center of the known universe.

Kinda iffy huh?

:p

Actually, he only went back 13.8 billion years. And his comment was along the lines of "available evidence suggests..."

'13.8 billion years', much more believable!

"available evidence suggests..." the kind that when they discover something new and they have to rethink what they've thought so far.............which happens fairly often.

Man I'm getting cranky in my old age.

Don't worry, I hate me too!

Edited by ACE50

Guest tx2sturgis

I think Neil is a great guy, science minded and out in the media...all good.

And I know he has deep respect for Carl Sagan and his legacy.

Still...the first episode didnt cover any new ground. At all.

It was a rehash of the original series...so it seems to me as if all the money was spent on flashy new special effects...

And it also seems 'all evidence suggests' that no scientific knowledge has been gained in the 34 years since the original series?

C'mon Neil. Ramp it up.

:whistling:

From what I could tell this was a way of connecting the old series to the new they are about to start. I love Neil and was thrilled to hear how he met Carl Sagan as a high school student. I'll eagerly await the next show and see how they move forward now that they have started with an homage to the original.

Margaret

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, its gotten better, I still don't care for their cartoony-like vignettes to showcase some of the historical figures. IMHO, its still not as good as TOS, but we have all gotten a bit more informed and not as in awe of space and the universe as we used to be.

Both Carl Sagan and Neil DeGrasse Tyson rock as hosts and presenters, and while there are new ideas to present, a large body of the evidence is stuff that science has known about for a long time , and its still relevant like it was in TOS

Brian

(TOS= the original series)

Guest tx2sturgis
I agree, its gotten better, I still don't care for their cartoony-like vignettes to showcase some of the historical figures. IMHO, its still not as good as TOS, but we have all gotten a bit more informed and not as in awe of space and the universe as we used to be.

Both Carl Sagan and Neil DeGrasse Tyson rock as hosts and presenters, and while there are new ideas to present, a large body of the evidence is stuff that science has known about for a long time , and its still relevant like it was in TOS

Brian

(TOS= the original series)

Yes, the animated sequences are a cost-cutting measure...much cheaper than constructing sets and hiring actors...

And I agree, a lot of it is review...mostly familiar territory...but I do enjoy the honors paid to the discoverers and experimentors in history, that we never hear about now.

The rehashed Star-Trek theme music, especially Voyager...well I could do without it...but again...cheaper to rearrange than to create.

I'm no Siskel or Ebert...so what do I know...

:whistling:

The last few episodes have been more fun to watch for me....

It seems to be getting better.

:happy34:

Last week's episode, on relativity, had me screaming at the TV. There were examples from the original that made concepts clear that were completely skipped over. I'm not sure anyone who didn't have the basics could have understood a word.

I thought this week's episode was pretty good. I still want to get out the 'ol Remington every time that flying shoe horn goes by........

• 4 weeks later...
[...]

And it also seems 'all evidence suggests' that no scientific knowledge has been gained in the 34 years since the original series?

[...]

C'mon man, it is called job security :happy34:

In all seriousness, I need to watch a few more episodes before I make an informed comment on this topic, but it is interesting to see the few opinions [and other perspectives, of course] that are out here.