IGNORED

Michelin Commander II (made in Thailand??)

crazygaucho

I just got the rear Michelin Commander for my Bike I think it was made on the 38th week of 2012 going to have install tomorrow and on about a month or two going to order the narrower front Michelin .................. one thing that caught my attention it is made in Thailand.

is it just my luck or are all made in Thailand?

is anybody using the 130/90-16 Michelins in the front and what's your opinion

thanks in advance guys

Dan

Dan,

Okay, went out and looked at my rear Commander II on my Venture.

Hey, 38 - 12 also,,,, also, made in Thailand! Thai Twins.

I had it installed at Camp Hill Yamaha in PA last July while at STAR Days.

Good news is,,, great tire, no issues. The previous same tire got me 20-22 k great miles.

And this one is also wearing fine.

And,,, just crawled under my RSTD. That Commander II rear is 35-11.

And guess what,,,, made in Thailand!

SO,, at least there was not some change that was made to find a cheaper source.

I would say they have probably been made there since the new model. So, while I would prefer US, not faulting anything with the manufacturing.

( I work for a US rubber company (V-Belts) and Asia rubber manufacturers does not have to mean "cheap",,, you get what you pay for. You ask for cheap,, you get crap. You pay for well made and you get it. Unfortunately, most ask for crap that may make it to warranty.)

On the front, try the small tire see what you think. I did that in the past on my RSTD and after two (Avons), went back to stock. Some like them,,, some don't. I like that stout tire up there.

I use the stock size Dunlop E3 on the front. It mixes just fine with the Commander II rear, and similar in tread. I like the better control at speed. My bikes are front lowered so I don't need the slow speed steer gain.

Mike G

Edited by Mike G in SC

I must say that I know for experience that there different grades of quality on Asian products, you should see some of the stuff they import from Asia on other countries lol, and I'm sure a big name brand like Michelin is not going to expose their good name and reputation with a bad product. it is just a little shocking or sad for a lack of a better word how everything is made outside (different topic I know) and makes one wonders if this tire isn't being produce on the same factory that makes the $80 tire that we didn't want to jeopardize our safety on them.

I work for Michelin. At my plant we make tractor trailer tires. Michelin has 70+ plants worldwide. There are 20 or so plants in the US.

If you're buying car or truck tires they are made here.

As far as motorcycle tires, any Michelin built overseas and imported here will be subject to the same quality standards we use here. Michelin quality standards are very tight. That's why in my opinion there the best. So don't worry about them being made in Thailand.