IGNORED

New to me bike, has issues

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks XV, Tires are on order. new set of E-3s for $522 installed...Ouch. I will do all the petroleum based fluids once I get her running 100% good.

I have the fuel filter which will go in after a few more tanks of gas. I will also do the plugs at that time and since I am there, I will clean the carbs and sync them.

It is starting to run much smoother, I have backed the throttle screw off a lot and I no longer have to run around with the choke on. I need to get a tach so I can set the idle properly instead of by ear/feel.

original price of this bike keeps going up and up. Good thing I just got promoted at work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been tracking my MPGs this last tank I came in at 23.16mpg.

opinions????

I have a carb sync tool that is shipping to my house. I am going to pull the carbs and clean them, replace fuel filter, replace plugs. that is all I have purchased so far. what more do I need since I am in there. I think I have a cylinder not fireing or not getting fuel. I do not know how else to explain the horrible gas mileage.

opinions????

I have a carb sync tool that is shipping to my house. I am going to pull the carbs and clean them, replace fuel filter, replace plugs. that is all I have purchased so far. what more do I need since I am in there. I think I have a cylinder not fireing or not getting fuel. I do not know how else to explain the horrible gas mileage.

If you don't weigh 700 pounds and always ride into a 30mph headwind and uphill only, I got nothing.

VentureFar...

Nope, I weigh 170 and it is pretty flat around here. The wind is crazy today, but not normally too bad.

If its below 30 mpg you got something wrong but I did get 19 out of a tank once playing with rockets that were trying to leave me......that idle if you are doing by ear you want a little fast or it seems that way to me when it is right. My 1st gen has broke 50 mpg several times. Almost 60 on a tank in Illinois last summer. I refigured that one several times and it came out very close to 60 mpg??? But I was following 2nd Gens.....:whistling:

opinions????

That is very very low for this bike. reported numbers on the 2nd gens are all over the place, with a few insisting they stay in the 40s, but the vast majority of owners find they get mid to high 30s. I track my mileage with every single tank, and with over 100,000 on my '05 I can say that the biggest single factor is speed - this is not a streamlined bike, and anything over 60 MPH really starts dragging those numbers down. Of course, any type of headwind simply equates to the same air drag as just riding faster too.

I generally ride the highways at 70 MPH or a tad higher whenever I can, and those speeds usually get me MPG numbers in the upper 30s. When just cruising in the mountains and twisties around 45 MPH, I have gotten 50 MPG.

Anything in the 20s says you are only running on three cylinders or have other significant problems.

Goose

• 2 weeks later...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/coffeyR6/Mobile%20Uploads/813F3F5D-B85A-4F96-B9B1-09E88C47CE88.jpg

Think I solved part of the problem.

I did the plugs, the fuel filter and sync'd the carbs. The bike ran a million times better just after all the stuff before the sync. I also cleaned the carbs and adjusted the idle. The carbs looked BAD.

The corroded plugs say that the drain holes on two of the heads are plugged. This often happens from mud-dauber wasps. Pull the fake fin covers and make sure the drains are cleaned out so no water stays around the plugs when you wash it or get caught in the rain.

Goose

Those two big bolts do not hold on the fin covers - they are the mounting points for the dog-bones, or upper engine mounts.

As long as the bolts are tight, I see no problem with putting something under them. I use a set of chrome wind deflectors in the winter that mount to one of those bolts.

Goose

I am up to 28.63 MPG. A lot of my riding is at 30mph or lower. So this is not too terrible. Still have room for improvement. This is on mid grade gas.
Try regular 87 octane as that's what the owner's manual calls for! Sometimes using a higher grade gasoline can actually cause lower MPG, or at best waste money when you do the old cost per mile conversion...

Yes a lot of my riding is in 1st and 2nd gear. There is a few miles between the 2 parts of base where I can go 45. But all in all, i only get high speed when I go out joyriding or have to go across town.

I will do regular gas for my next tank. I will also get it at shell instead of on base. We will see how that works.

I bought another inline spark tester last night (loaned my old one out and it never came home), I will check to make sure i am getting spark in all the cylinders today.

I think sunday after church if I am not working, I will fill up and go for a 100mile ride and check my fuel consumption at that time.

The bike sounds great, doesn't stall out anymore and is smooth as smooth can be. All plugs are getting spark, so I think it is my daily commute that is killing her gas mileage.