IGNORED

Mechanical help

I live in Troy Oh. and want to find someone on here that would do my valve adjustment and check my bike over for a fee. I have a 114,000 miles and want someone to do the work and give their opinion of anything else I might need.

If there isn't anything urgent causing your desired check over, I'd plan on attending Freebird's maintainence day in early June. You can get meet some of the greatest people and there will be others there that can help you with the bike.

Someday I'll get to join the group!

Dave

I gotcha on that but I'll have a bunch more miles by then and need it done this winter.....It's kinda too much for maint days anyway I think. I was up there for that great get together and "Freebird" still owes me anyway from my sore butt when me and another guy was on his swing on the deck and the chain broke! LOL

I usually get big maint issues done at Dans Yamaha in Seymour In. about 3 hours away but Gary [his son] and great Yamaha wrench is recooping from shoulder surgery!

Never had the valve covers off and it has 114,000 miles. Lots of hard highway miles but always good clean oil. Getting noisey compared to a tight one but runs good. Leaking some at covers now and I have new gaskets but it does sound noisey at idle to me. Carb boots have typical cracked look and maybe it's sucking some air? Been a good horse and I just want to make sure what I got....Don't have any bikes out that I would rather have. I had a 2000 with 86000 and got hit. Might move up some when it gets to old.

Well then a valve adjustment won't hurt it for sure, but sounds like it's nothing that has to be done immediately from what you describe...

Yes, the carb boots can eventually cause vacuum loss. They are not that costly to replace. Pay attention to the mating surface on the heads, they will probably need a good cleaning up.