IGNORED

Air boxes

Guest jeepcop24

Guest jeepcop24

Has anyone tried to paint the air box covers? I think it would really set the bike off but dont know how it would look. If anyone has done this would you please post a pic and let me know steps for the covers to be painted.

Thanks

Scott

I doubt they'll hold paint at all. I've modified a few airboxes and tried to do some stuff with gluing them. No glue I had would stick to them. I asked around what kind of plastic it was, and was told it was probably some kind of polyethylene, which is commonly used for airboxes because of its high resistance to gasoline and other chemicals. Meaning that paint won't stick either.

Painting may not work but this stuff (wheel well molding) works good. Just clean the airbox with Denatured Alcohol first. I have modified this since this pic was taken but think up some kind of design and try it. Just takes some time. I used some fine wire cutters to trim it and shape it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3661&d=1162357585

• 1 month later...
Guest JMAC71

I took and put chrome studs around my airboxes. It gives it a nice touch since I have a studded seat, and studded windshield bag. I have ordered a studded fender bib and tank bra as well. It all blends it real nice. There are lots of things you can do with the breather covers, just use your imagianation. You can get a lot of good ideas off of here as well. I do like the trim molding idea as well. It looks nice. Beats buying the $300 plus chrome covers.

Jerry

Guest JMAC71

Sent you an email Steve....I will try and get you some pics tomorrow as well if possible. They look great, or at least I think so.

Jerry

Guest JMAC71

I will try and take some pics to send to you. Basically I went and bought the chrome studs from a local hobby store. The same type I used to do my windshield bag. They have two lil tabs that you press in and then bend over. I took a real tiny drill bit...(about the size of the prongs on the studs) and drilled two little holes, using the studs as a pattern. I then just pushed the prongs of the studs into the holes and bent them over on the inside of the breather where they came through at. I did all around the outside edge of my breather....top and bottom and where it makes the circle in the back. If you don't drill the holes real big, the stud prongs will cover them up, plus if you will notice, even on the inside, all of this is on the outside of the actual filter inside the breather so you won't have any problems there with your system still filtering out dirt and that type thing. It really looks great and blends in with the other studded stuff on the bike. I thought about heating the prongs and sticking them through the plastic but it was way more bothersome trying to keep from touching the studs when they were hot and getting them lined up. I did three of them that way, and they look good but I did went with the drill techingue. You can't even tell it. Most people will think you probably glued them on, but I think putting them all the way through will make sure they stay on. HOpe this helps, I will try to get you some pics tomorrow if I can.

thanks,

Jerry

I will try and take some pics to send to you. Basically I went and bought the chrome studs from a local hobby store. The same type I used to do my windshield bag. They have two lil tabs that you press in and then bend over. I took a real tiny drill bit...(about the size of the prongs on the studs) and drilled two little holes, using the studs as a pattern. I then just pushed the prongs of the studs into the holes and bent them over on the inside of the breather where they came through at. I did all around the outside edge of my breather....top and bottom and where it makes the circle in the back. If you don't drill the holes real big, the stud prongs will cover them up, plus if you will notice, even on the inside, all of this is on the outside of the actual filter inside the breather so you won't have any problems there with your system still filtering out dirt and that type thing. It really looks great and blends in with the other studded stuff on the bike. I thought about heating the prongs and sticking them through the plastic but it was way more bothersome trying to keep from touching the studs when they were hot and getting them lined up. I did three of them that way, and they look good but I did went with the drill techingue. You can't even tell it. Most people will think you probably glued them on, but I think putting them all the way through will make sure they stay on. HOpe this helps, I will try to get you some pics tomorrow if I can.

thanks,

Jerry

Nice, I would like to see that!