IGNORED

Alright rear wheel is off

Putting on a new tire and I'm going to put in new bearings because I don't want to pull the wheel again anytime soon. Not fun. I've got an 87. Anyone have a list of everything I'll need?

How does the drive shaft pull out to grease the splines?

Also I'm confused as to whether or not grease the rear splines in the pumkin?

Thanks

How does the drive shaft pull out to grease the splines?

Also I'm confused as to whether or not grease the rear splines in the pumkin?

Thanks

The rear splines on the 1300 are lubricated by the gear oil in the pumpkin. There is no need to grease the rear splines.

Lubing the front splines is still recommended. To grease the front splines, unbolt the pumpkin from the swingarm and pull the pumpkin (the drive shaft will remain attached to the pumpkin).

Anyone have a good source for bearings? How about aftermarket? I've found a set made by pivot works, comes with both bearings and seals for $56. That sure beats the yamaha price.

Looks like they have what you need, kit looks complete and the price is right,,, as far the quality of the products, I have no idea, but they do give a lifetime guarantee,, but then again, that's only good if they stay in business.

I think, for the price, I would go for it. If you buy the kit from Yamaha it will cost you at least $100.

As long as you are there and replacing everything else be sure to replace the needle bearing buried behind the drive fingers you were also going to pull out and grease.You were going to pull and grease those right? You will need to remove the circlip to get them out and then you can get to the needle bearing. This can only be purchased from Yamaha. The other bearings and seals can all be purchased from a local bearing house,just take the old ones with you and they will match the numbers.

To grease the drive shaft you will have to remove the final drive,4 bolts and its done and the drive shaft will come with it You don't need to do the end it the final drive as it is lubed by the oil in that unit.Grease the transmission end splines and after you have replaced the wheel bearings put it all back together.

I have done this several times on 1st gens. It is not hard just take your time, read the tech articles in the archives and the shop manuals.

• 2 weeks later...
As long as you are there and replacing everything else be sure to replace the needle bearing buried behind the drive fingers you were also going to pull out and grease.You were going to pull and grease those right? You will need to remove the circlip to get them out and then you can get to the needle bearing. This can only be purchased from Yamaha. The other bearings and seals can all be purchased from a local bearing house,just take the old ones with you and they will match the numbers.

To grease the drive shaft you will have to remove the final drive,4 bolts and its done and the drive shaft will come with it You don't need to do the end it the final drive as it is lubed by the oil in that unit.Grease the transmission end splines and after you have replaced the wheel bearings put it all back together.

I have done this several times on 1st gens. It is not hard just take your time, read the tech articles in the archives and the shop manuals.

What are "drive fingers" please?

• 2 weeks later...

i may have posted this too late. but the needle bearing can be regreased. Remove the seal...center sleeve comes out... They rarely fail. .ask yourself> How many miles does it have. Did the original owner always ride with a passenger? they were designed to avoid the issues the goldwing had in the 80's.