IGNORED

Saddle bag cracked

I discovered a crack about an inch long on the lid of one of my bags. What is the best way to repair this before it has a chance to get any larger? TIA for any help.

I know you will get many good suggestions from others. For me, Plastex worked extremely well.

Jim, I think you will find a very good video on that web site. The bond is strongest if you use a dremel or something like that to score the back side of the joint. If you use clear tape on the good side of the joint, you will keep that side clean. You can sand and even paint the finished joint if you wish, and it is normally as strong or stronger than original.

Maybe someone has some experience a little more with the bodywork. I would suggest stop drilling the crack so it can not move anyfurther. At the end of the crack use a small drill bit and dril thru. This essentually "ends" the crack. Then add your glue/filler it shoud help terminate the crack.

jim not sayin plastix doesent work good or is the best in the world but eventualy cracks do start again if you want to make sure that does not happen you can reinforce it with copper wire i mean melt it in to the plastic like stiches and then do the plastix fix i have done this to a bunch of cracks on my saddle bags and trunk and still have a few more cracks left to fix that i havent done yet the ones i have fixed with the wire method have not spread any further there is a video on one of the threads here i cant remember where but thats where i got my info from and it has been great maybe some one can find it and post a link for you any way good luck on your fix

Thats why we get paid the big bucks. :whistling:

if you want to make sure that does not happen you can reinforce it with copper wire i mean melt it in to the plastic like stiches and then do the plastix fix i have done this to a bunch of cracks

So do you go all the way thru like you are sewing it back together? Or is it more like pieces and its staples? If its sewn could a fellow after its stiched could you hook up some low voltage like 9v or so to each end of wire and let it heat up and bond that way?

Thats why we get paid the big bucks. :whistling:

So do you go all the way thru like you are sewing it back together? Or is it more like pieces and its staples? If its sewn could a fellow after its stiched could you hook up some low voltage like 9v or so to each end of wire and let it heat up and bond that way?

I have successfully used metal staples and a soldering iron to reinforce cracks and broken tabs. I trim the staple so that it will not go all the way through, hold it with a small needle nose plier until I get the soldering iron on it, then heat until it melts into the plastic.

:080402gudl_prv:

I had my Venture for over 20 years. I have tried a few including JB weld. I can say the Plastic welders generate HEAT that causes/increases the bond. And fully set up in less than an hour. Plastic welders...You are actually making a PLASTIC. JB weld does not generate heat and has a long set time. Good Plastic welders do not need anything to increase the strength. I have a few high stress repairs now 10+ years old. None have failed. The only thing about JB weld is it's ability to handle high heat...up to 300 or 600F. JB weld is not bad stuff...just "welders" are better.