IGNORED

eliptical trainers

CaptainJoe

Some difference between cheap and good.

When I had cardiac rehab 9 years ago, they had very good ones at the hospital.

But I got a cheapo and kind of took the fun out of it. Sold it,,, actually gave it.

Third owner did use it.

Got my wife another treadmill when she retired 3 years ago,,,,, ha hahahaah.

When the guy loaded it in my SUV, he said "which one of you two bought this coat hanger?" We pointed at each other.

Might also look at "Play it again Sports" if you have one near you.

Ordered this one from SEARS

Johnson AFG 3.1AE Elliptical

http://www.sears.com/afg-3.1ae-elliptical-trainer/p-00621095000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Its a flat eliptical so i should have about 2 1/2" of head clearance in basement

Others i looked at wouldn't work as they raise you to high...

Georges:

Gym membership won't work for me as I'm 30 mi. from closest one...an I don't want this to become a half a day thing...

Actually I already have numerous hunks of metal in the basement and I use them all...LOL

Spent all day testing various ones out and this one fit us both. Plus it came with the best reviews...

mikeGinsc:

Yes!... there's definately a difference between the cost and different name brands...

Warning! make sure you know the height of your ceiling before you buy one...

Edited by CaptainJoe

My experience with these excersise things is this. The wife bought one more of one of those ski machine types. But anyways it started in the living room. It did fold up which helped. But so now this thing is in living room, if you want to watch TV you have to move it. So finnaly it ends up in the office. So when I want to do something in the office I have to fold and move the thing. Then you need in the closet, guess where machine is....yup move it again. I swear the only person that got any excersise from that thing was me moving it out of my way.

I purchased a NordicTrack E9.0 directly from NordicTrack. I have had it for almost 2 yrs. and have lost 50+ lbs. I have it in a location in front of a 50" TV so my daily 20 min workout is not so boring and the time passes very quickly. I highly recommend the NordicTrack for it contains many routines with auto incline and decline adjustments as well as varying pace and resistance. The elliptical is a low impact work out which is easy on the knees unlike a treadmill. Buying direct from NordicTrack on line I paid no taxes and got free shipping as well. One thing I have learned is you get what you pay for and you get back what you put into things. A low end unit may be difficult to work with and you may lose interest quickly. Good luck and I hope this helps.

My experience with these excersise things is this. The wife bought one more of one of those ski machine types. But anyways it started in the living room. It did fold up which helped. But so now this thing is in living room, if you want to watch TV you have to move it. So finnaly it ends up in the office. So when I want to do something in the office I have to fold and move the thing. Then you need in the closet, guess where machine is....yup move it again. I swear the only person that got any excersise from that thing was me moving it out of my way.

I hear ya...LOL

Luckily my wife and I actually use the equiptment we have. Sure, there are the occasional voids in training but, we are more prone to exercise when it's actually sitting in the basement.

We've got a (2)treadmills, stationary bike, Punching bag, speed bag, weight lifting station, bench press, assorted freeweights, Leg machine etc.... Most importantly a color TV hooked up to VH1. Wednesday will pick up the eliptical which will be a low impact cardio.

Like to do cardio and free weights every day...

I purchased a NordicTrack E9.0 directly from NordicTrack. I have had it for almost 2 yrs. and have lost 50+ lbs. I have it in a location in front of a 50" TV so my daily 20 min workout is not so boring and the time passes very quickly. I highly recommend the NordicTrack for it contains many routines with auto incline and decline adjustments as well as varying pace and resistance. The elliptical is a low impact work out which is easy on the knees unlike a treadmill. Buying direct from NordicTrack on line I paid no taxes and got free shipping as well. One thing I have learned is you get what you pay for and you get back what you put into things. A low end unit may be difficult to work with and you may lose interest quickly. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Yup, If I could loose 25 lb. I'd be happy. They say your muscles atrophy causing one to gain weight, so, will exercise to build some.

The treadmill did us good but was looking for something low impact. If you don't have a TV to occupy your mind, the exercise won't last long. Love VH1 for the rock n roll and find myself pushing it a little harder.

Wife prefers CMT .

Luckily we are both finished before 9 am. For some reason the music video channels have reality shows later in the day? :confused24:

About 5 years ago bought a Gold's Gym eliptical from QVC. It was on sale for $500.00 dollars. I didn't like it because it made my knee hurt and I've never had trouble with my knees. Used it just a few times and gave it to my daughter and she doesn't use it. I bought a schwinn airdyne and have been very pleased with it. Our local hospital uses airdynes for rehab because it doesn't hurt your feet or knees. The hospital uses it for rehad with heart patients and other surgeries. It has handles that move back and forth so you get an upper and lower work out. The eliptical may work great for you but I didn't like it. One other thing, the airdyne doesn't take up nearly as much room and the eliptical.

About 5 years ago bought a Gold's Gym eliptical from QVC. It was on sale for $500.00 dollars. I didn't like it because it made my knee hurt and I've never had trouble with my knees. Used it just a few times and gave it to my daughter and she doesn't use it. I bought a schwinn airdyne and have been very pleased with it. Our local hospital uses airdynes for rehab because it doesn't hurt your feet or knees. The hospital uses it for rehad with heart patients and other surgeries. It has handles that move back and forth so you get an upper and lower work out. The eliptical may work great for you but I didn't like it. One other thing, the airdyne doesn't take up nearly as much room and the eliptical.

ediddy,

I have the stationary bicycle but after riding it for any time it makes my tail bone and inside of knees hurt...

Have half a basement to play with so room isn't a problem.

ediddy,

I have the stationary bicycle but after riding it for any time it makes my tail bone and inside of knees hurt...

Have half a basement to play with so room isn't a problem.

Joe,

When I did do the cardio rehab, my favorite was the elliptical,,, and the little blond therapist. Just seemed unfair to make her demo the machines for me,,, each time.

Name withheld in case wife reads this.

I would definitely look at 'Play it again Sam' or craigslist, the newness of retail is really secondary to the job it's to do, and if it becomes a dust collector, moving it along to another is less of a problem.

If i knew what model that fit penny and I, that would have been an option. Some of the machines i got on just felt awkward. Could definately do that with treadmills

MikeGinSC

I'm not gonna go there... cause my wife definately reads "over my shoulder" from time to time:rotf:

So easy for a machine to become a clothes hanger. I did good by going out to gym for over a year then hit a rut. My lack of energy has returned big time. But I have started using my cable machine at home and have plans to return to gym 1st of year. Good luck with what you choose Joe. I know putting mine "out" here in front of everybody helped me last time to get started. Didn't want to admit I couldn't do it. 1st Of Year I'm going to get back in 1s Gen Shape. :whistling:

Slim, trim and faster than a speeding 2nd Gen!!!:clap2::clap2:

So easy for a machine to become a clothes hanger. I did good by going out to gym for over a year then hit a rut. My lack of energy has returned big time. But I have started using my cable machine at home and have plans to return to gym 1st of year. Good luck with what you choose Joe. I know putting mine "out" here in front of everybody helped me last time to get started. Didn't want to admit I couldn't do it. 1st Of Year I'm going to get back in 1s Gen Shape. :whistling:

Slim, trim and faster than a speeding 2nd Gen!!!:clap2::clap2:

Dan,

I believe we all hit ruts from time to time. I'd go to a gym if they weren't so far away. My favorite method of getting in shape is swimming laps... closest lap pool to me is 45 min. away, so that isn't going to happen.

Just make sure you do a little every day...

Just don't overdo it... Don't know how many times i started out doing to much resulting in injuries and time off.

Tomphil,

Agreed, However... some of them are more expensive than others...:mo money:

I used to sell this stuff. A few points If I may.

Home use versus Gym, Its a toss up whatever works for you. I know folks who spend hundreds a year on gym memberships that they don't ever use other spend hundreds on equipment they never use.

bike versus eliptical versus treadmill again a preference thing but treadmill tuffest of the three on your knees and ankles. elipticals more overall full body workout than a bike. Bikes are great but finding the right fit is tuff.

stay with nordic track or Sole stay away from proform or horizon brands. Check big box stores now and early january for closeouts and deals, the fitness season ramps up in mid to late january! I've seen $700 machines sell off the floor at sears for as low as $250.

GET THE EXTENEDED WARRANTY. the electronics in these things are expensive to fix boards and cables are well voer $300.00 so an extra $100 on the exteneded service plan is well worth it.

I used to sell this stuff. A few points If I may.

Home use versus Gym, Its a toss up whatever works for you. I know folks who spend hundreds a year on gym memberships that they don't ever use other spend hundreds on equipment they never use.

bike versus eliptical versus treadmill again a preference thing but treadmill tuffest of the three on your knees and ankles. elipticals more overall full body workout than a bike. Bikes are great but finding the right fit is tuff.

stay with nordic track or Sole stay away from proform or horizon brands. Check big box stores now and early january for closeouts and deals, the fitness season ramps up in mid to late january! I've seen $700 machines sell off the floor at sears for as low as $250.

GET THE EXTENEDED WARRANTY. the electronics in these things are expensive to fix boards and cables are well voer $300.00 so an extra $100 on the exteneded service plan is well worth it.

I tried out multiple exerciser bikes... was hard to find one that fit...

It's not only the seat height

(leg lightly bent at bottom of stroke) but also distance from seat to handelbars.. Have TREK bikes for Penny and I and I can definately tell a difference if I hop on hers by mistake.

Ediddy, so your the one they are building all this exercise equiptment to fit...:rotf::rotfl:

Dang You!

I unfortunately have short legs and a tall upper body. really makes it interesting when I shop for shirts... 29" inseam and 6' tall

Definately have a plumbers crack going alot of the time...

Oh well, I can't see it:whistling:

Edited by CaptainJoe