IGNORED

The next challenge

Hi,

The next challenge for me will be to mount a tacho on my 2006 tour Deluxe.

Since the speedo is very art-deco in style I want to attempt to keep that style, and I will be using a Suzuki M109R tacho.

See excel attachment.

The first job will be to remove the parts labelled "A" and "B".

Then I will remove the cowl from the RSTD speedo, and if the schematics on the parts CD are correct, most of the space underneath will be unused.

If this is correct then I won't have to modify the Suzuki tacho any more except to remove the wires that I don't need.

I will then, very, very, very carefully cut an opening in the top of the RSTD speedo and mount the Suzuki into the gap.

Then it will just a matter of securing one to the other, and wire everything up.

Every time I do something I will take photos and post.

Cheers,

:fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by TheCoffsKid
forgot the attachment

I took off the RSTD instrument cluster (meter) and there isn't that much room , what with the handlebars and wiring looms.

So it will be out with the playdough and remount the cluster, then pull it off and see how much room there is and where.

Question without notice:-

As I will only need 4 wires of the M109R tacho, can I get rid of the printed circuit board?

Cheers,

they are very cool, and if I was building my own bike I would use something like that or something similar.

there is a lot of cool looking stuff out there.

I have purchased another instrument cluster housing so I can continue my challenge.

probably won't arrive until new year, but progress is being made....slowly

Cheers,

:lightbulb:

Hi,

I have removed parts marked "A" & "B" and this can be seen on the attachment.

Then I removed part marked "C"

The hole where "C" was will have to be filled in; bit of creative thinking will need to be applied; it will be under cover so maybe not..will see when I get further along.

Photo of tacho on instrument cluster just to see how it looks.

If I can adapt the tacho main cover that would be ideal but if have to use the full cover it will mean moving the tacho towards the rider.

If I have to move the tacho, removing "C" would have been a waste of time.

I have another main instrument cluster cover so if I have to move the tacho towards the rider I would try and use that so it would look like 2 instrument clusters.

Don't hold back tell me what you think and how am I going.

have to send two attachments; one with this post and another on the next post

Cheers,

TCK

:301:

Hi all,

little bit more progress.

have mounted the tacho onto the instrument cluster cover, and it doesn't look that bad.

It sits a little higher that I would like but I cannot cut into the PCB, unfortunately.

Still needs some work to get it to sit right, but I am going for a ride in the next few days, so we'll see.

The grey loom out the back will eventually go as I think I only need 4 wires.

As soon as we get the tacho to work we'll get rid of the extra wires, put the remainder in some heat shrink wrap, drill a whole in the cover and slide it through a rubber grommet.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

TheCoffsKid

Edited by TheCoffsKid
bad spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Just put down my $100 deposit for the Rivco centre stand; I had to get up at 0400 but at least the dog was happy!

Bike goes in for a service in two days so the auto elec will try and get the tach to work; if he does its onwards and upwards.

Cheers,

:fingers-crossed-emo

Hi all,

little bit more progress.

have mounted the tacho onto the instrument cluster cover, and it doesn't look that bad.

It sits a little higher that I would like but I cannot cut into the PCB, unfortunately.

Still needs some work to get it to sit right, but I am going for a ride in the next few days, so we'll see.

The grey loom out the back will eventually go as I think I only need 4 wires.

As soon as we get the tacho to work we'll get rid of the extra wires, put the remainder in some heat shrink wrap, drill a whole in the cover and slide it through a rubber grommet.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

TheCoffsKid

Good project. The way I ride I would like a tach. and have been contemplating adding one.

• 1 month later...

The RSTD has been in the workshop to be given the once over to make sure everything is ok; change all fluids, clean/change all filters; tune up etc.

That's all done, and as well the tacho works!!! Will send photos shortly.

The lights have all been wired correctly and adjusted.

The levelling links have been installed and work as advertised.

Next up is the R1 brake conversion from Earl, then the bigger tank and whilst that is being done the Dyna3000.

Won't be much else to do soon except ride the thing.

To paraphrase one of our early quiz show hosts: happy riding customers!!

:mustache:

cheers,

I spent many, many hours on the net trying to find a tacho that would match the style and shape of the rstd instrument cluster, and this was as close as I could get.

When I have used it for a few months and I an happy with how it works I will try some mods.

:detective:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey thanks for those pictures. I'd be interested in trying to mount it flat on the speedometer case. maybe trim up the tach case to remove the bottom side of it's case.

template the contour of the top surface of the speedo case and shape the tach case to match.

bob