IGNORED

problem shifting

Guest rduff55

Guest rduff55

I have an 86 venture royale and early this spring I noticed that after the engine is warm my clutch lever was very spongy and the bike became hard to shift. I took it into the local yamaha shop and they bleed the clutch. It helped for one trip of 30 miles then started again. There is no visable leaks or fluid loss. I have had this bike for 2 yr. and it only has 26,000 miles on it what may be the problem.

thanks for any help I can get.

ross

I had somewhat the same thing happen on my 86. I, on my 86, was running with a friend, on his Aprilla Futura, at high speed (we won't talk about how high!) across Kansas in 100 degree heat when we both lost our clutches. We limped into a service station and bought brake fluid. We did our best to get the old fluid out of each master using paper towels and then refilled with the new fluid. That got us back on our way. The old fluid had broken down with the high heat of the combined high temperature and high rpms.

When I got back home I switched out the fluid for Valvoline SynPower. It's good for replacing DOT 3 or 4 and it made a world of difference. I can even ride with muffinman and wingman :bikersmilie: now! I liked it so much that I actually did all the brake fluids, as well as the clutch and brakes on my Intruder. Now all I need to do is do lapryor's clutch fix because it slips if you really nail the throttle. I also want to put SS lines on but that takes :mo money: even if you get them from Rick at Buckeye.com. That might be an idea for you if fluid change doesn't help.