IGNORED

Some Modifications--

GeorgeS

Doing a few more " mods " to the 08 RSTD this week. I decided to remove the AIS, system, and completed that job. Just for information, I weighed all the removed parts, and found the total weight reduction is 5 lb 8 oz. ( or close to that ) :whistling:

I have ordered a 1st gen center stand from Pinwall parts, and have built one of " Freebirds " , mounting brackets, from the plans posted in Tech section. Stand will be here Fri. and will see if this Mod is successful :cool10:

Weight removed by takeing OFF the AIS should just about equal the new center stand,

weight. Will weigh the stand when it gets here.

I am also doing " Carbon_One's " Ignition Switch Bypass modification, Installing the Bosh relay, to bypass the On/Off switch to prevent the eventual failure of the Ignition Switch. Just found that info this morning, and decided it " Is the Right Thing To Do " !!

Thank you , Carbon_One for the information, and good write up with pictures.

Relay's are wired up, and will get installed today.

Horns!! ---- I took off the OEM """Beep Beep"" ! Horns, and installed ""Two"" Sets of WOLO, high low tone horns, from O"Rilely Auto parts.

Two mounted just below, and behind the Radiator ( space freed up by removeing AIS system parts )

And Two mounted Aft, right side in the stock horn position, and the other on Left side just aft of Pass Foot board Position.

Each set of horns with its Own RELAY, ( Bosh of course ) Each relay, powered from a Seperate fuse.

For front, two horns, I tapped into the " Power Outlet fuse." ( not used on RSTD, mine, at least )

For the Aft two horns, I tapped into the " Fan Fuse " . I doubt the Horn, and Fan will ever be used at the same time !! Should be OK.

This set up IS Loud !!! Might be something louder, but this works !!

And now its time for a complete 20,000 mile service !! Will get to that starting tomorrow.

Life is Wonderfull !! on an RSTD :cool10::cool10::cool10: :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Had the center stand on mine for a while. Found I was dragging it before the floorboards. That was the only reason I removed it.

Well, which part of the stand was dragging?? Maby I can modify it before I install it.

I have a welder, so can make changes, if that is possible

I have been thinking about trying to figure a way to " raise " the rear end of the bike.

Frankly, this bike is a bit on the Low side for me anyway. I have heard of " lowering Links" is it possible to go the other way ?? Just a thought at this point.

But I really do want a center stand !!

George, go to to the tech section for 2nd gens and check out the procedure for installing leveling links to raise the rear of the bike. From the sound of what you have done on your bike so far you should be able to do this. I made my own links and the handling is much improved. I don't know if it will increase your ground clearance enough to avoid scraping the center stand but it should help some. If not, you will still have a better handling bike.

Some have been concerned with increased seat height so if you are "in seam challenged" take that into consideration before raising the rear.

George, go to to the tech section for 2nd gens and check out the procedure for installing leveling links to raise the rear of the bike. From the sound of what you have done on your bike so far you should be able to do this. I made my own links and the handling is much improved. I don't know if it will increase your ground clearance enough to avoid scraping the center stand but it should help some. If not, you will still have a better handling bike.

Some have been concerned with increased seat height so if you are "in seam challenged" take that into consideration before raising the rear.

No,---- height not problem, 1 inch higher on seat would not be a problem for me.

Thanks for that Information !! :cool10::cool10: Will check it out.

Boy!!! I'm running in Full, " Modification Mode " for the Holliday Season !!!

Lets see, I need to put Zerk Fittings. on the Rear Suspension also , Hmmm and what else ??? there must be something else I can

modify ????

I have the leveling links George. If I remember right it was on left turns. Seems I remember the feet pads were dragging. The way it mounts everything was just too low. Maybe why Yamaha didn't put any on the 2nd gens. Anyway, It really reduced my lean angle so I removed it about two weeks after having it on. Once you mount it I think you will see..

Well, which part of the stand was dragging??

When I put the Rivco center stand on my 08 I discovered the foot on the right side would drag before the floor board. I was concerned the foot might anchor and flip me during a turn. So I ground the leading edge of the lip off of the foot. It is now flush with the leg on the front right side. It hasn't dragged since but even if it does it can't anchor.

Mike