IGNORED

Help diagnosing problem

Ok I am decent at fixing stuff, but not figuring out what to fix. SO my issue is the way the bike runs. On these cold mornings lately, I use the choke to start the bike. I let it warm up some, push the choke in most of the way and take off. A mile or so down the road, I push the choke in the rest of the way. Bike starts running worse. Even after my 30 mile commute (mostly highway at 70+ mph) the bike is good and warm but still runs worse. Not necessarily bad, but if I leave the choke out just a tad, it runs incredible. Sounds better and the throttle response is lightning fast.

So if I am running better with a little choke, what do I need to fix? Carbs were synched in the last 6 months or so.

These bikes do not really have a "choke".

A choke restricts airflow to make the fuel mixture richer.

When you close the "choke" on our bikes it has no effect on airflow, It adds more fuel to richen the mixture.

So if it runs better with the choke on, then you were probably lean.

I agree with Dan, you may have dirt or partly blocked fuel passages, start with a good dose of seafoam.

Cold air being denser will have the effect of leaning the engine. You may have just been on the verge of lean when it was warm, now that it is cold you are over the edge.