IGNORED

My fork seal seems unrepairable -Help!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow what a thread!

A long time ago I had a Yamaha 750 Special (triple) Street bike. Some liked it, some didn't. Anyway it had a leaky folk seal. It had those boots over the seals too. Well I ordered a set of fork seals from Dennis Kirk. I put them on with some tranny fluid as lube. One seal still weeped a little....o at work we had a hydrological shop and in their consumables they had some seal back ups; (name is prob wrong) they were made of Teflon, it was three or four turns long, if you stretched it out it looked like a spring but would collapse like a slinky toy. I wrapped this around the fork tube under the boot and above the seal and my problem went away. I am inclined to agree with Skydoc, if there's no nicks on the fork tube those bushings could be the issue and probably are.

If it isn't this I know that hydraulic actuators can get re-chromed and repaired, I had a guy that sandblasted the actuators on a Mobilizer in the military, we send them down town for a re-chrome and polish, worked like a champ when we god them back.....forks are a lot like actuators....