IGNORED

Water Temperature for 2nd gen

You will notice the engine runs a little cooler on the hottest days. When the thermostat stays wide open, the engine can run as low as 195 or even 190 out on the road. By contrast, below 20F outside, the engine will constantly swing between 165 and 200 as the thermostat starts to crack open and then the coolant is cooled faster than it can shut again!

Goose

You will notice the engine runs a little cooler on the hottest days. When the thermostat stays wide open, the engine can run as low as 195 or even 190 out on the road. By contrast, below 20F outside, the engine will constantly swing between 165 and 200 as the thermostat starts to crack open and then the coolant is cooled faster than it can shut again!

Goose

Below 20f ? I'm not even certain my Venture starts when its that cold!

If you are an Old School gauge watcher and think that anything above 190* is getting hot, don't install a temperature gauge. When I first installed mine and saw the temp get up above 195* I took the gauge back to the Advance Auto and made them replace it under warranty. When I put the new gauge in and it done the same thing, I got worried and took my themostat out thinking it was stuck closed. The thermostat was fine, so I checked a lot of other things thinking maybe the fan wasn't working or the radiator might be stopped up or a few other things. Everything checked out good. I then called the Cycle shop where I get all my parts and he said that 190* - 210* was normal temp. I also looked on the site here and found some threads that confirmed this. The other day mine did go up to 230* in stop and go traffic.

So, unless it gets up around 240* or the temp light comes on don't worry about it. That's easy to say but hard to do if you are an Old School gauge watcher.

Here's a link to the gauges I installed http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63928

V7Goose it's good to see you posting again. :thumbsup2:

C.R.

Edited by Steel Horse Cowboy
Spelling, add link

Sorry, not trying to hijack thread, but what type/brand temp guage would you recommend for the 2nd gen. attachment.php?attachmentid=79423&stc=1&d=1377097038

Just about any gauge will work, but I am partial to mechanical gauges instead of electric. There are a number of options for mounting, but on a bike, just about all of them need the smallest gauges you can find (LESS than 2"). Generally just go to the local discount auto parts store and buy the cheapest three-gauge set you can find. If you are going to mount a temp gauge, you really should do the oil pressure too. I prefer a digital volt meter, but the three gauge sets are a good buy even if you throw the volt meter away.

See the tech library for intimate details on installing gauges.

Goose