IGNORED

Anyone traveling the Blue Ridge Pkwy...

mini-muffin

The Parkway has a section closed due to the road pulling away from the mountain. All the rain hasn't been kind. Anyway here's a link:http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=25

I figured folks like to travel on it going or coming from Vogel and it's at that end of the parkway by Mt. Mitchel. There is a detour around so you can still ride it. The detour is for about 21 miles of the road.

Margaret

If going south, the best way to get around this is going south on 80 towards Marion and then west on 70 and pick up the Parkway in Asheville near the visitor center. If you go up the Parkway north from Asheville and then go toward Burnsville on 197 and then hit 80 back toward the Parkway, part of 197 is not paved.

RandyA

If going south, the best way to get around this is going south on 80 towards Marion and then west on 70 and pick up the Parkway in Asheville near the visitor center. If you go up the Parkway north from Asheville and then go toward Burnsville on 197 and then hit 80 back toward the Parkway, part of 197 is not paved.

RandyA

Randy,

Could you tell me about how many miles of 197 is not paved? Is it loose gravel, tarred and chipped, or just plain dirt?

My best friend and I will be coming from Burnsville (south) on 197 in about 3 weeks from now and if the road is dirt, loose gravel I do not want to take him on it. Ill have to find another route to get from Spruce Pine to Lake Junaluska and Canton to pick up Hwy 215 south. I am trying to take roads that I have never been on before...I don't want the Pk-way or interstate.

Edit: Ok,

I viewed (zoomed in), on Google Maps and it appears about 5 miles is not paved... time to look for another route to take I guess.....

Edited by Eck

Eck, the last time I was through 197 was many years ago and in a cage. I asked recently about the road while in Burnsville and was told that is was a little rough in spots. With all the paved two lane roads through the mountains, I don't know why NC has never upgraded 197.

Are you going to be staying in Burnsville or just passing through? If it will work into your schedule, maybe Linda and I can meet you guys for a meal. The Western Sizzlin in Burnsville has a great buffet.

RandyA

Randy,

My best friend and I will be coming from Burnsville (south) on 197 in about 3 weeks from now and if the road is dirt, loose gravel I do not want to take him on it. Ill have to find another route to get from Spruce Pine to Lake Junaluska and Canton to pick up Hwy 215 south. I am trying to take roads that I have never been on before...I don't want the Pk-way or interstate.

As long as it is paved, how off the beaten path do you want to go? I know many of the roads from Spruce Pine down to Lake Junaluska. If you want, I could put you together some roads that are good, but they won't be the quickest way.

RandyA

With as much rain as they are getting and in the amounts up in the NC, TN way I look for alot more closures before the riding season is done. Have they even got the one fixed in the park between Cherokee and Gatlinburg?

With as much rain as they are getting and in the amounts up in the NC, TN way I look for alot more closures before the riding season is done. Have they even got the one fixed in the park between Cherokee and Gatlinburg?

Unless there has been another washout, 441 is open and I have been through there since it has been fixed.

RFandyA

As long as it is paved, how off the beaten path do you want to go? I know many of the roads from Spruce Pine down to Lake Junaluska. If you want, I could put you together some roads that are good, but they won't be the quickest way.

RandyA

Thanks Randy, but I already have our routes planned out. I only had to make a small adjustment due to the gravel road.

Guys Jaylyn on her VR and I on my Goldwing (with passenger) transited the section that is torn up. They have a truck that leads you through the broken up area so there is no chance of a head on if some one gets by the flaggers. The road surface was reasonably packed, BUT it had been dry for at least one day before we rode.

I would advise caution if you are not an experienced gravel road rider. Jaylyn hates gravel and her "pucker factor" was high, but she negotiated it without too much drama.

Howard