IGNORED

Alaska trip

Gary N.

I heard there's a cruise ship of ferry that you can load your bike on to and travel the BC coastline up to Alaska or vise-versa. Has anyone done this and if so what can you tell me about it? What ports does the ship sail from? Any web sites?

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I probably won't be up for if this year but maybe next year. I figure leave home around the first of June and be in Alaska for the first day of summer to get the longest daylight hours, then sail down the coast to Vancouver and then maybe down into California along the coast and zig-zag back home.

Not too sure of the web-site Gary. But, I too, have heard of this. For some reason I want to think BC Ferries would be the answer.

Found it! If it were me, I would cross over to the Island and drive up to Port Hardy then get on the Queen Charlotte route

http://www.bcferries.com/files/images/maps/serviceareas.gif

Has anyone done this and if so what can you tell me about it? What ports does the ship sail from? Any web sites?

gary,

i took a trip to alaska in '96 on my bike. took the marine highway from prince rupert bc. to haynes, alaska then rode north to fairbanks and pionts beyond. returned via the alcan to vancover and down the west coast. the ferry was a very interesting part of that trip. here is a link to the ferry info

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ and pm me if you need any particulars about the trip.

jim

Man that sounds like a great trip! I've always wanted to ride Alaska. In fact it was my great-great-great-great grandfather that bought Alaska for the US. And his surname is my middle name. I figured I would own Seward Alaska for a day!

I had to turn down a free ride to Alaska for myself and the bike a few years ago. I had to turn it down because it was offered 3 days in advance, money was tight, I would need a new tire in Alaska and I had to pay a $300 gas bill :mo money:. That wiped me out.:bawling:

I hope to live it vicariously through you, Gary!

Guest Speedybikegirl

My Dad did Ohio to Alaska and back in three weeks on his Venture a number of years ago and is still talking about it! He loaded the bike on a ferry and camped on the deck. If you ever want to talk to him about it, send me a PM with your number and I will have him give you a ring. He is always more than glad to share the story.