IGNORED

TCI needed

dysfunctional33

In trying to find my Gremlin I decided to take a look at the TCI on my 84VR. Well I just may have found it. Part of the board is badly corroded I can see at least one broken connection and what looks to be a few loose ones. give it a gentle shake and something rattles. Does anyone have one laying around they could give up fairly cheap? Im desperate. Being this is my only transportation to and from work at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated...:fingers-crossed-emo

Do not use a big soldering gun, you will overheat the board and make it worse.

Use a small soldering pencil under 40 watt.

Use solder with lead in it, not the modern lead free junk.

Use rosin flux, not the corrosive stuff made for plumbing.

The worst that can happen is it still wont work.

Do not use a big soldering gun, you will overheat the board and make it worse.

Use a small soldering pencil under 40 watt.

Use solder with lead in it, not the modern lead free junk.

Use rosin flux, not the corrosive stuff made for plumbing.

The worst that can happen is it still wont work.

I will see what I can pick up in the morning. This one still works just not to its capabilities

If a diode is gone, as in missing, the TCI is toast. The doide replacement is only a preventative option on a good TCI. When a diode dies it allows a high voltage reverse polarity spike into one of the custom ICs and fries it.

I did not unsolder the connectors to get mine apart. I made a cut thru the plastic just behind the connectors and then just glued it all back together with black silicone sealing the cut line. There is to big of a chance of damaging the board trying to get all of those connectors out of the board.

I would doe the obvious repairs to the board (peek in the edges as best you can to see if there is any corrosion on the other side of the board that may also need repair) and then test the TCI to see if that fixed it, if that did fix it then do the diode replacement as long as you have it out and open.

Well I dont think Im gonna be able to repair my TCI. Once I opened it up all the way and looked at the other side of the board im pretty sure its toast. Ill upload a pic or two of it tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys. You were a big help. I even found everything I needed to do the repair. The only thing left to do was stop and pickup some solid core wire..:depressed::depressed:

Last week I tried replacing the bad diodes in my 83, no luck. Tci was already toast, waiting for funds now for ignitech.

Silverado, I would love to get the ignitech unit, but the only way that is gonna happen for me is if they accept a payment plan.. lol. So far if it could go wrong it did for me this year. My funds are extremely depleted.:confused24:

Here is a pic of the other side of the board. Im gonna get the diodes and put them in and give it a try anyway

It sort of looks like you have a couple of the diodes that are completely separated. If this is the case, odds are that the IC's are blown also. These are proprietary IC's as far as I know. Certainly worth a try to replace diodes, but don't get your hopes up.

I think you have a paper weight there.

Your stock options are limited to an 84~89 Venture or an 85~89 VMax TCI.

Gary

It sort of looks like you have a couple of the diodes that are completely separated. If this is the case, odds are that the IC's are blown also. These are proprietary IC's as far as I know. Certainly worth a try to replace diodes, but don't get your hopes up.

I think you have a paper weight there.

Your stock options are limited to an 84~89 Venture or an 85~89 VMax TCI.

Gary

Believe it or not the bike will run with this unit in the bike. I just decided to take a look at it to see if maybe that's why it was running a little different from every run I went on.:lightbulb: